Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Star Trek, anyone?
Star Trek, anyone? [message #89474] Wed, 02 January 2019 11:51 Go to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I'm curious if there are any other Trekkies here. I've been watching Star Trek for decades now and it's still my go-to entertainment when I'm bored, stressed, happy, basically any mood. I've watched every incarnation (T.V. show and movies) several times, but for some reason, I never tire of it.
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89477 is a reply to message #89474] Wed, 02 January 2019 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I love Star Trek!

My favorite is the original cast. And the movies with the original cast too.

My second favorite is the "Star Trek: Enterprise" series and cast. I liked them because they seemed most realistically human.

That "realistically human" criteria is why I didn't like the "Next Generation" as much. I liked many of the characters, like Data, Commander Riker, Deanna Troi, Beverly Crusher and Geordi. But they are impossibly idealistic, especially Captain Picard. The TNG cast doesn't act much like humans really do, and instead act a lot like how we'd like to think of ourselves.

Some would say that's 'cause it's set in the future and we've advanced. But take a look at the changes in humanity over the last 5000 years or so. You can find Sumerian texts written in cuneiform that describe behaviors exactly the same as today. So while we've changed what we've played with, we haven't changed how we play. That made the TNG series hopelessly unbelievable to me.

I did like the Borg though. Cool enemy concept. The "Q" character was cool too, but his interactions with the Enterprise crew show more than anything else that unrealistic idealism I was just talking about. We somehow always look much more benevolent than this childish "Q" creature. It's way too patronizing.

I never really got into the other spin-offs, like "Voyager" and "Deep Space Nine." I might have to give them a try sometime, but at first glance, they aren't really interesting to me. Maybe they'll grow on me if I watch an episode or three.

I kind of dig the latest cast from the most recent Star Trek movies though. Chris Pine is great as Captain Kirk and Zachary Quinto was the perfect Spock. Dr. "Bones" McCoy is played most convincingly by Karl Urban. Sadly, Anton Yelchin can't be Chekov any more because he was perfect in that role. What amazed me about him was how well he imitated Walter Koenig, who made several mistakes when imitating a Russian accent. This struck me as so ironic because Yelchin actually was Russian. So he had to imitate Koenig's mistakes, and he did it perfectly.
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89483 is a reply to message #89474] Thu, 03 January 2019 16:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The original Star Trek is my production of interest. It has held up pretty well. With it's character development of a hot headed saw bones, a thick brogue'd Scot engineer, worrying about his engines, a pointy ear'd half breed alien/earthling with perfect bowl cut bangs and a Casanova captain love'n his way through galaxies full of hot babes. Dealing with complex situations in way out places. Although some of the later episodes seemed to had run out of creative steam. On the whole, the classic I think has never been equaled. Something of a trivia fetish, I also liked the music backing up the emotional content of scenes.
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89494 is a reply to message #89477] Sun, 06 January 2019 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
Wayne Parham wrote on Wed, 02 January 2019 15:03

I never really got into the other spin-offs, like "Voyager" and "Deep Space Nine." I might have to give them a try sometime, but at first glance, they aren't really interesting to me. Maybe they'll grow on me if I watch an episode or three.
I wasn't a big fan of "Voyager" because I couldn't get into Captain Janeway. The "Deep Space Nine" series was good though, and became one of my favorite shows. There's lots of action and interesting characters. Odo, Worf, and Quark made the show worth watching if nothing else.

Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89497 is a reply to message #89494] Sun, 06 January 2019 20:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
What do you make of "Discovery"? Has anyone here seen it? It's the prequel to the original Star Trek movie. Season two is set to premiere soon, but I'm hesitant to pay for CBS All Access when my cable bill is high enough.
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89505 is a reply to message #89474] Mon, 07 January 2019 02:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Newjack is currently offline  Newjack
Viscount
I agree with a lot of what you said about TNG, Wayne. I'm actually watching it right now in the background Laughing The characters come across kind of fake and a little too altruistic. They certainly like to make it a point that humanity has been "enlightened" and no longer has wars, violence, hatred, etc. A little too idealistic, I'd say. I love the character "Q" though! He's my favorite Trek character of all time out of any of the series.

I get a lot of flack from other Trek lovers, but Voyager is my favorite series. The Doctor is a riot and the stories were well done. Janeway does take some time to warm up to. She gets better after the first couple of seasons. You can cut the tension between her and Seven of Nine with a knife!

As for the new Discovery series - I watched it and didn't care for it too much. It really disappointed me. Almost as disappointed as I was when "Enterprise" was taken off the air after only 4 seasons. I just can't get into the new Klingons!
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89560 is a reply to message #89505] Fri, 11 January 2019 21:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
There's a rumor circulating that Star Trek 4 has been canceled. That film has struggled so I'm not surprised that it's getting shelved, but I wonder what pushed things in that direction. Paramount kept reassuring fans that the reboot was still happening, but something obviously changed.
Re: Star Trek, anyone? [message #89565 is a reply to message #89560] Sun, 13 January 2019 01:40 Go to previous message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
musicluvr wrote on Fri, 11 January 2019 21:09
There's a rumor circulating that Star Trek 4 has been canceled. That film has struggled so I'm not surprised that it's getting shelved, but I wonder what pushed things in that direction. Paramount kept reassuring fans that the reboot was still happening, but something obviously changed.
I also read about the purported cancellation of Star Trek 4 and this was very shocking, considering the kind of success it had enjoyed. The reasons for the cancellation are still sketchy and I can imagine how disappointed the fans must be.
Previous Topic: Golden Globes Speculation
Next Topic: What is More Important in a Song: Meaning or Sound?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:36:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio