Home » Audio » Source » Hissing while listening to vinyl.
Hissing while listening to vinyl. [message #89427] Fri, 21 December 2018 21:47 Go to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
I was recently listening to a record and I noticed a hissing sound periodically. Almost like the vocalists themselves were hissing. I thought maybe it was just the record, so I put another one on and the same thing happened. I gave everything a good cleaning but it's still happening. Anyone know what could be wrong?
Re: Hissing while listening to vinyl. [message #89431 is a reply to message #89427] Sat, 22 December 2018 18:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
If this is happening with multiple records then your issue could be a worn or misaligned stylus.
Re: Hissing while listening to vinyl. [message #89441 is a reply to message #89427] Sun, 23 December 2018 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Most likely what you are hearing is sibilance. It can occur because of a badly manufactured LP, but more likely is caused by the cartridge/stylus. Even with the best turntables some is possible. Anyhow, it is usually an indication of miss tracking. There are several ways this can occur. The most common are: insufficient tracking force, incorrect anti skating force, cartridge not aligned correctly, worn or damaged stylus (needle). You need to check any of those things you can. What brand/model of turntable do you have? What cartridge are you using?

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Hissing while listening to vinyl. [message #89461 is a reply to message #89441] Mon, 31 December 2018 13:23 Go to previous message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Thanks for the replies, everyone. The problem was actually silly. The surface the player was sitting on wasn't completely level. I noticed that the surface was a bit wobbly and leaning slightly to one side. Once I fixed that, the records starting playing properly again.
Previous Topic: Shure no longer making cartridges
Next Topic: What explains new popularity of vinyl records?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Mar 19 00:12:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio