Home » Audio » Measurement » Measuring noise levels
Measuring noise levels [message #89400] Tue, 18 December 2018 03:23 Go to next message
lilbill is currently offline  lilbill
Master
We all risk exposure to harmful noises which could have an effect on the sensitive structure of the inner ear. I use the Decibel X app to measure the intensity of sound but then how accurate can the free apps be?
Re: Measuring noise levels [message #89413 is a reply to message #89400] Thu, 20 December 2018 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trilling Me Softly is currently offline  Trilling Me Softly
Baron
I haven't tried the app you mentioned. I use the free app that was created by the National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health (NIOSH). It seems accurate to me. https://blogs.cdc.gov/niosh-science-blog/2017/01/17/slm-app/
Re: Measuring noise levels [message #89558 is a reply to message #89400] Fri, 11 January 2019 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
I think that we often get exposed to dangerous noise levels, without even realizing it. I would easily go for the NIOSH Sound Level Meter app that meets certain testing criteria. It is equally important to settle on accurate app.
Re: Measuring noise levels [message #90592 is a reply to message #89558] Mon, 01 July 2019 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
The apps have been tested by researchers and the results showed that the apps built for the Android platform weren't as reliable as those built for the iOS platform. The tests also showed that the age of the phone affected the outcome as well. Newer models do a better job of measuring noise levels. These tests were conducted around 2014-2015. There might be something more current that I'm not aware of. I learned about it at work. I'll try to see if I can locate the info or at least a link to the study.
Re: Measuring noise levels [message #90612 is a reply to message #90592] Tue, 02 July 2019 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Musicluvr, I'd love to read it if you do manage to find it. I've wondered about whether those apps are reliable. It's amazing how far technology has come!
Re: Measuring noise levels [message #90621 is a reply to message #90612] Tue, 02 July 2019 22:07 Go to previous message
musicluvr is currently offline  musicluvr
Viscount
Madison, I can only find part of the handout from work, but it cites the study. The link is https://www.researchgate.net/publication/289502743_Testing_the_accuracy_of_smartphones_and_sound_level_meter_applications_for_measuring_environmental_noise

As quickly as technology changes, it's possible that both Android and iOS both measure sound equally well now. I guess their testing methods could have been disproved by now too, but at least at that time, that particular study found these apps were pretty reliable.
Previous Topic: Room EQ Wizard.
Next Topic: Turntable Cartridge Measurements
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 05:54:54 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout