Home » Audio » Source » Rabco arm on Luxman table
Rabco arm on Luxman table [message #12580] Sun, 16 October 2005 13:50 Go to next message
Thomas is currently offline  Thomas
Esquire
Hello,

I'm planning to fit a Rabco SL-8E on a Luxman PD350 table. Does any of you have experience with this combination? I don't have the installation instructions of the Rabco, so any help or advice would me much appreciated.

Thomas

Re: Rabco arm on Luxman table [message #12585 is a reply to message #12580] Sat, 29 October 2005 20:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi Thomas,

I used to own the Rabco, the difference being that it was mounted on a Thorens table. Be very careful that you mount the arm absolutely perpindicular. The rest is easy. Watch the arm length for the cartridge used. The stylus must match the center of the spindle. My Rabco was a cantankerous beast. First the good news; the battery lasts for several months. The bad news; the tonearm rings. You need to find a lightweight dampening compound. I solved the problem by building a balsa wood arm that I laminated out of thin strips of wood, then built the arm into a rectangular cross section that I filled with foam rubber. Nowdays I'd try a spray on dampening compound on the underside of the arm. The other major weakness is that the contacts to activate the motor tend to collect dust or oxidize, and the arm stops tracking properly. Your milage may vary.
By the way, the late Mr. Papier of Triplaner arm fame got his start modifying Rabco arms. Good luck. Please let us know how the project turns out.

Steve

Re: Rabco arm on Luxman table [message #12586 is a reply to message #12585] Sun, 30 October 2005 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thomas is currently offline  Thomas
Esquire
Thanks for your response Steve. I've indeed already changed the metal arm for a Balsa one, as I thought initially that this would anyhow increase the flexibility in installing the arm (closer or farther from the platter) : the Luxman being quite big, there is enough room to experiment. From initial tests I can conclude that the balsa is a good improvement. What do you have in mind precisely with a "dampening compound" ? I thought of installing a damping device in the form of a plunjer into an oil-filled longitudinal container that would follow the cartrridge as the stylus moves along; question then is where to put it (easy: toward the base of the arm, or more complicated overhanging after the cartridge, allowing faster damping but utter annoyance physically for changing the record..).
Now I'll continue with some other tweaks, for instance the cabling (any suggestions??), which should produce a good effect as what is on it now is the result of some serious bodging.

Regards,
Thomas

Re: Rabco arm on Luxman table [message #12587 is a reply to message #12586] Mon, 31 October 2005 19:54 Go to previous message
steve f is currently offline  steve f
Master
Hi Thomas,

It sounds like you're off to a good start. I was thinking about an automotive panel dampening spray. The car stereo guys on the forum probably have favorite brands. I'm sure 3-M makes adhesive backed membranes too. Your tone arm "shock absorber" has been done before using a dust brush at one end, and attached to the tonearm on the other. A setup like that might cause the Rabco to mistrack. The option of a trough attached to the base seems much easier. I'm not a believer in fancy cables, so no opinions there. I wonder if there's a way to eliminate the wire to wire motor contact switch. That is a problem area. Gold plated contacts, or an optical sensor?
Please post some pics as you progress.

Take care,

Steve

Previous Topic: M97X
Next Topic: Trying to find replacement stylus for JVC QL-A2
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Mon May 13 00:50:16 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio