Home » Audio » General » Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs
Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89276] Tue, 20 November 2018 20:00 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I love listening to Christmas songs in the church and when the Christmas season is starting. However, during the month of December, I feel like I'm fed up with all the Christmas music that is being played everywhere. Do you also have this relationship with Christmas music?
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89295 is a reply to message #89276] Sat, 01 December 2018 16:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, With all the commercialization of the holidays and the apparent need for every singer (regardless of how good) feeling the need to butcher the songs.....I don't listen to any of it if I can help it. I have considered even using my FIIO with phones in stores that play it. Sorry to be negative...but that is how I see it.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89298 is a reply to message #89295] Sun, 02 December 2018 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
The soul of Christmas was co opted long ago for commercial purposes. And the tsunami of ads and phony xmas jingles do their part in making the season just something to get over with and done. That being said, there's some great music that has been made in the spirit of Christmas. One of my favorite yuletide movies, Christmas Vacation, theme song. Sung by Mavis Staples.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tAydn_x3l8

And my personal favorite R&B Christmas tune, Amos Milburn's, Christmas Comes But Once A Year.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izW2QB1k2LU
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89299 is a reply to message #89276] Sun, 02 December 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
Christmas music is special for quite a few reasons, none of which have anything to do with the holiday.

First, a Christmas tune that gets popular will outlive the rest of the artists library. The only time you hear any Bing Crosby these days is at Christmas. The Waitresses? Same thing. If it wasn't for their holiday tunes they wouldn't get airplay anymore.

The other thing about Christmas tunes is that it is often the only time the average person hears "traditional instruments". Trumpets, flutes, oboes, etc. aren't part of popular music anymore but are still heard in many Christmas songs.

The holidays are the only time of year we don't disregard older music.
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89315 is a reply to message #89276] Fri, 07 December 2018 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
I love the Christmas season, repetitive music included. Hearing the holiday music playing on all the speakers in public really makes it feel like the holidays for me. I like listening to a local radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 for the month of December every year. It's fun to hum along to while driving.
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89370 is a reply to message #89315] Sun, 16 December 2018 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
TheWanderer wrote on Fri, 07 December 2018 23:39
I love the Christmas season, repetitive music included. Hearing the holiday music playing on all the speakers in public really makes it feel like the holidays for me. I like listening to a local radio station that plays Christmas music 24/7 for the month of December every year. It's fun to hum along to while driving.
This makes the two of us. Despite the obvious repetition and commercialization, what stands out for me is the merry making that comes with the Christmas season. I have particular classics that I can never have enough of.
Re: Love/Hate Relationship with Christmas Songs [message #89884 is a reply to message #89299] Thu, 07 March 2019 09:44 Go to previous message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Barryso wrote on Sun, 02 December 2018 15:52
The holidays are the only time of year we don't disregard older music.
I can go along with this one, but listening to it over and over again is like listening to a scratched CD. I respect how you guys love to listen to Christmas music, and I agree that Christmas time is the time when the oldies are the popular ones.
Previous Topic: Rules
Next Topic: Cellphone Signals Interfering Airplane Control
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:04:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout