Home » Audio » Source » Why Vinyl Sucks
Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89262] Tue, 20 November 2018 09:30 Go to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
"The audiophile hobby is at a critical crossroads today. Too many of the (70+ year old) elders (with poor hearing) refuse to embrace new technology that can push the performance barriers for musical playback. There is somehow a religious-like draw to older, lower-performance technology".

https://audiophilereview.com/audiophile/yet-another-story-about-why-vinyl-sucks.html
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89263 is a reply to message #89262] Tue, 20 November 2018 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
It doesn't take much to get a donnybrook going with much of any audiophile subject. The breed seems to take umbrage with any statement made. I'm a vinyl user of older vintage and don't feel threatened by the article. I don't really care. I think it's fine to push the envelope technically and the idea that the psychosis of audiophilia is at a crossroads from it's bastardization by an old technology is a good chuckle. Reading the comments, Michael Fremer, (ugh), the analog prima donna of Stereophile is one whom always seems to take the low road in his comments by reverting to nasty personal vulgarity instead of useful reasoning.
I think analog vinyl is riding a wave in popularity by a generation embracing it through vogue and the elders, (like me), that never let it go. It'll fade away in time. But it can sound pretty damned good too with decent equipment. Just wait though, the c.d. and associated equipment will make a comeback with that particular generation. Then, some future geek will opine about it undermining the audio truth.
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89267 is a reply to message #89263] Tue, 20 November 2018 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I've known Fred for a long time and I'm fairly certain that he posted that tongue-in-cheek. Smile

I'm a vinyl lover too. And reel-to-reel. And even cassette, but only tapes recorded on a very good recorder. I have lots of cassettes that sound fantastic.

Way back before there were any digital recordings, I played around with the technology. I'm talking 1970s. I'm an electrical engineer, and I worked for Data General on minicomputers with D/A and A/D converters, so I could digitize music, store it on a disk drive and recreate it for playback. Back then, I was excited about the possibilities that we enjoy now.

So I'm not an "analog snob" but I'm also not unaware of the limits of digital. Then again, there are endless debates about digital formats that are interesting academically but sometimes less interesting acoustically. A file can be pretty digitally compressed before the loss is audible. Analog compression is a different matter - Compression of the dynamic range is immediately obvious past a certain point.

So to me, the things that really mess up a recording are more in the mix than they are in the storage medium.

Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89272 is a reply to message #89267] Tue, 20 November 2018 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Quote:
Wayne Parham
I've known Fred for a long time and I'm fairly certain that he posted that tongue-in-cheek.
Yes, he was just quoting from the 1st paragraph of the article. So, my direction is towards the way people get so bent out of shape in their comments after an article or statement someone makes in an audio forum. Pretty amusing apart from the venom spewed sometimes. I hardly use my c.d. gear any longer. Just spin records. But the streaming digital audio that I've heard sounds very good. I just haven't bothered equipping for that format. The author of the article seems a bit perturbed with this revival of analog vinyl as if it's dragging technology backwards. If anything it's trying to nudge it forward with what may or may not be a novel method of laser cut stampers.
https://hdvinyl.org/
Will it be economically viable is yet to be determined.
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89273 is a reply to message #89272] Tue, 20 November 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Yes, absolutely, I agree with you.
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89280 is a reply to message #89262] Sat, 24 November 2018 17:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AudioFred is currently offline  AudioFred
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I ordered a new Van Alstine Vision Q phono preamp, regular $499, Black Friday special price $329. I think my vinyl may suck less with this versus the phono pre that's built into my cheap mass market receiver. Heck, it may even sound better than streaming and the other obsolete formats we old audopharts listen to. Very Happy

https://avahifi.com/collections/for-vinyl-lovers/products/vision-q-phono-preamplifier
Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89281 is a reply to message #89280] Mon, 26 November 2018 08:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Looks like a nice little phono stage. Please let us know how it sounds.

I'm still running my ProJect Tube Box phono stage, and I like it a lot. But I'm thinking about upgrading because the original Tube Box creates a little more noise than newer models. It isn't bad but it's noticeable, especially with high-efficiency speakers. So I'm eager to hear what you think about your new Van Alstine preamp.

Re: Why Vinyl Sucks [message #89296 is a reply to message #89281] Sat, 01 December 2018 16:42 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi everyone, as most know I'm an analog guy. All my turntables are connected via self designed and built vacuum tube preamps. They are quiet. Yes it is possible, not simple and generally not cheap. Solid state is usually quieter but when I have S/N in the -90dbv range it is academic. For sheer accuracy IMO solid state has the edge, but for musical presentation I find tubes to be better. As you might imagine...I don't think vinyl sucks. If anyone out there wants to donate their record collection to me just have at it.

A bit OT...remember when they said that CDs would start to deteriorate after about 10 years and be worthless shortly there after. I have several now that are about 40 years old and still play fine in my OPPO SE.

IMO if anything sucks it is the cloud. I am extremely concerned that stuff put there including music will be safe over the long run.

However to each their own. Rolling Eyes

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Storing vinyl records
Next Topic: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:53:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio