Home » Audio » Source » Scratchy Sound Of Turntable
Scratchy Sound Of Turntable [message #89204] Wed, 14 November 2018 10:41 Go to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
I was reading about the Vinyl Recording of Malfoy. What is the cause of the turntable having that scratchy sound? If that happens, what can be the solution for that?
Re: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable [message #89209 is a reply to message #89204] Wed, 14 November 2018 15:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

A record player is a mechanical recording device. It converts the grooves on the disk to mechanical movements of the stylus to an electrical signal out of the cartridge which is developed at the amplifier and sent onto the speakers. The speakers then do all that in reverse; They take an electrical current, transform it into a magnetic field that interacts with its built-on magnet, which creates movements of the speaker cone and those vibrations are transmitted through the air as sound.

In all those transformations, there are some inaccuracies and distortions that can come into play. So noise can be introduced at any place along the line. But the one most common is the obvious thing: Dirt and scratches on the record disk itself. That's what makes the pops and clicks people associate with old vinyl recordings. It's also who vinyl enthusiasts are so careful about how they clean and store their record collections.

Re: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable [message #89211 is a reply to message #89209] Wed, 14 November 2018 16:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I agree with Wayne. Most of the problems arise from poor condition of the records. Fortunately a good cleaning can fix many of them.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable [message #89253 is a reply to message #89204] Mon, 19 November 2018 15:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
Thanks Wayne. Now I understand why the record players I see in real life have a cover because the ones I see in the movies don't have a cover.

Is the mechanism of the CD/DVD similar to the record player?
Re: Scratchy Sound Of Turntable [message #89297 is a reply to message #89204] Sat, 01 December 2018 16:47 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, About half the time it is grunge on the record and can be cleaned. The other half is either a bad cartridge/stylus or actual damage on the record from a bad cartridge/stylus. Even when there is damage it is sometimes possible to get a new cartridge with a stylus that has a smaller radius (like a micro ridge one) that will reach further into the grooves and extract decent sound. That however can be a costly solution.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Why Vinyl Sucks
Next Topic: Grado Sonata II
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:08:22 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers