Home » Audio » Radio » Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital?
Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89198] Wed, 14 November 2018 00:37 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Viscount
The scanner came from either Circuit City or Radio Shack, so there's no chance of finding guidance at a brick and mortar store. It's a Uniden Bearcat. The model number is tough to read, but I believe it is BC8OxCT. There are 50 channels. I've found a couple of articles about this type of scanner. On Fixya's website it appears there's a slight consensus that it's better to consider it obsolete and to buy a digital scanner instead. Do you all agree? If it's convertible can you share a resource for DIY conversion from analog to digital?
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89666 is a reply to message #89198] Thu, 31 January 2019 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Porter is currently offline  Porter
Chancellor
I'm not sure whether your analog scanner is convertible, but digital scanners are fairly affordable so it's probably easier to just buy the more modern version.
Re: Handheld analog scanner consider obsolete or convert to digital? [message #89822 is a reply to message #89198] Wed, 13 February 2019 11:19 Go to previous message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Chancellor
Digital scanners have higher sound quality and more range than analog. I don't see a reason to stick with the analog scanner. I'm usually a stickler for the older versions of things, but in this case, go for the upgrade.
Previous Topic: The mystery around presenters
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Feb 21 11:06:16 CST 2019

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout