Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Measuring The Quality of Sound
Measuring The Quality of Sound [message #89197] Tue, 13 November 2018 17:56 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I read some topics regarding the measurement of noise levels in the other sub-forum. Makes me wonder whether there is an app or a device that will determine the sound quality inside a room.
Re: Measuring The Quality of Sound [message #89208 is a reply to message #89197] Wed, 14 November 2018 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

There's a learning curve here.

Sure there are systems that measure sound quality. They're not just "apps", but rather hardware/software systems. The better ones are calibrated for accuracy.

But they don't measure "accuracy" in one go. They measure several attributes. And that's where the learning curve comes into play.

You need to first understand what to examine, and then how to examine it.

Study things like amplitude response, time response, distortion (of all types), signal versus noise, directivity, etc.

Then learn what it takes to measure those things.

Re: Measuring The Quality of Sound [message #89254 is a reply to message #89197] Mon, 19 November 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Groot is currently offline  Groot
Viscount
Wayne is absolutely correct. Sound measurement cannot be done just by a simple application or even sound measurement system. Our ears are a crucial part of this system of measurement.
Re: Measuring The Quality of Sound [message #89256 is a reply to message #89197] Mon, 19 November 2018 17:46 Go to previous message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
So the quality of the sound still remains with the person who is hearing the sound. I admire the people who can tune their hearing to detect the quality of sounds. I don't know if I will be able to learn that skill.
Previous Topic: The size of the room
Next Topic: Designing proper acoustics into a building
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:12:33 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout