Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It
Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It [message #89190] Tue, 13 November 2018 08:16 Go to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
This inquiry is in connection to my little project which is found here: https://audioroundtable.com/forum/index.php?t=msg&th=22208&start=0&

I have a problem when exposing the wires in the cables. I often cut a few strands of the wires when I like to expose the wire at the tip of the cable. What is the technique in removing the outer covering of the cable without cutting the wire strands?
Re: Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It [message #89192 is a reply to message #89190] Tue, 13 November 2018 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You can use wire strippers, or you can carefully use a razor blade to cut through the insulation. With a lot of practice, you may find that you can use wire cutters, with the jaws held just close enough to cut through the insulation without nicking the conductor.

Re: Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It [message #89249 is a reply to message #89190] Mon, 19 November 2018 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I'm using the jaws of my long-nose pliers to open up the wires. I agree with you that practice will help. My hands tremble easily when I'm trying to concentrate on exposing the conductors.
Re: Exposing The Wires Without Cutting It [message #92245 is a reply to message #89249] Tue, 01 September 2020 13:52 Go to previous message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
Wire strippers were made precisely for this job. Places like Harbor Freight is where you can get them on the cheap. And I don't know what they're called, but there are razor knifes that are thinner than most which would work well too.
Previous Topic: Joe's basement
Next Topic: Under or On The Wall
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:34:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout