Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Drapes or Curtains
Drapes or Curtains [message #89165] Mon, 12 November 2018 04:56 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I know that drapes absorb more sound than curtains. What do you think about which one will help produce a better sound quality for room acoustics?
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #89173 is a reply to message #89165] Mon, 12 November 2018 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I recently replace some thin drapes with more substantial curtains. I think it's helped with the sound quality in the room.
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #89195 is a reply to message #89165] Tue, 13 November 2018 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
I think so too. Large halls, like the theater, might be needing drapes or carpeted walls to minimize the echoing of the sound. Our rooms are not that big enough that we needed drapes to absorb the sound.
Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #95833 is a reply to message #89165] Thu, 14 July 2022 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Curry is currently offline  Curry
Chancellor
The difference is not substantial with drapes or curtains. I see some theatres use both. There are other considerations like the wall paneling, furniture, and flooring since everything in the room will want a share in the good distribution. There will be much more done to a room to bring in the quality of a theatre.

Re: Drapes or Curtains [message #95841 is a reply to message #95833] Fri, 15 July 2022 21:12 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, It seems that the question is what do you think is not as good as it ought to be? Second what is the room like now in terms of construction (wood, brick, cement..) what is the size, shape and contents? All these things will alter the sound. I suspect that just window coverings will not do the whole job, especially if you have hard, flat surface walls. Let us know and we will see if we can come up with some ideas.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: How to keep the neighbors' noise out
Next Topic: Textured ceilings
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:55:56 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers