Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Saw Violin
Saw Violin [message #89120] Thu, 08 November 2018 17:15 Go to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
Have you guys seen this type of violin? I saw it (no pun intended) in one of the videos of "Got Talent" shows. I am imagining an orchestra with utensils and tools used as musical instruments.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89131 is a reply to message #89120] Fri, 09 November 2018 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
My grandfather was suppose to have some talent playing the saw. He played fiddle, which comes in right handy. You ever see the movie One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest? The opening and closing of the film features the bow saw. It can sound spooky and melancholy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7alU4al3UQ
Re: Saw Violin [message #89151 is a reply to message #89120] Sun, 11 November 2018 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for sharing that music. It is my first time to hear this music. It does sound spooky, but it doesn't give me the creeps.

I'm afraid to try it as I might break the saw when bending it.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89155 is a reply to message #89151] Sun, 11 November 2018 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Give it a go Jethro. It's only a saw. Check out this tutorial from the saw lady. Then, observe some old boy doing Over The Rainbow with his crosscut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgU2C2FozHk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE2nFMHRacg

It's a link with the past, these rudimentary instruments made out of found objects. People before the advent of electronics would create their own musical expression with whatever they could cobble together. We'd be better for it to do the same.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89159 is a reply to message #89120] Sun, 11 November 2018 18:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I reckon that our musical instruments today started as common materials in the old days. I wonder how the first person who made the violin used the hair of a horse to use as its bow.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89164 is a reply to message #89120] Mon, 12 November 2018 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
I love the "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" rendition with a saw violin. The vibration of the saw made the music perfect.

My saw is rusty now (no pun intended again) so I have to buy a new one to try playing a saw violin.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89251 is a reply to message #89120] Mon, 19 November 2018 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I never thought that this kind of violin has been used in the old days. I knew about this way of playing the saw just lately. Is there a specific kind of saw that will produce such sound?
Re: Saw Violin [message #89252 is a reply to message #89251] Mon, 19 November 2018 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I did a simple google search for musical saw, and you can buy em off Amazon or other sources. Or, as this little web page suggests, make your own bow and head down to the hardware store and try out the hand saw section for a saw of your liking. Any way you want to do it, it can be done.

http://www.dennishavlena.com/saw.htm
Re: Saw Violin [message #89258 is a reply to message #89120] Tue, 20 November 2018 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
Thanks for the link Rusty. I will try making my own musical saw. Do you think a longer saw is so much better than the shorter one? I may have to try the shorter one to find this out.
Re: Saw Violin [message #89264 is a reply to message #89258] Tue, 20 November 2018 10:54 Go to previous message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Just do a google search for musical saw, there's plenty of info to get you started if your serious. Then, head for the hardware store and start bowing their products. Course, they may not like seeing you torque their saws between your legs and hand to get that gentle "S" curve to make it resonate. Be discreet, if possible.
Previous Topic: Nylon or Steel String For Guitar
Next Topic: Apple's new GarageBand worth trying
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:47:48 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout