Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Recording
Vinyl Recording [message #89066] Sun, 28 October 2018 10:17 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
I don't have a turntable so I would like to know whether we can record music from a turntable? Or is there a different equipment to record music to the vinyl?
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89067 is a reply to message #89066] Sun, 28 October 2018 16:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There are lots of ways to do this. The simplest way now is to get one of the turntables that has a USB output and feed it to a computer. You didn't specify what you wanted to play the music from so I guessed it would be digital as in a PC, tablet or phone. There are really cheap turntables that do this and some more expensive ones as well. The cheap ones like Crosley will work, but the end result is rather poor. Slight more costly ones like several AT branded ones will do a reasonable job. They generally run in the $150-250 range. Using one of this type with out an audio amplifier will mean you will have to listen to it on the PC. The quantity of records you want to record and their condition ought to govern what you seek to play them on. If they are beat up and few, I would likely just opt for digital down loads of them. If they are in good condition then recording them may make sense. Once in a PC there are several software programs that are free and will clean up the sound a bit and let you make CDs or just music files of the recordings. I like Audacity personally. It is not super intuitive, but will do a good job. It can not however make bad recordings or seriously deficient ones like new. If you will provide more specifics it will be possible to narrow down some choices.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89079 is a reply to message #89066] Wed, 31 October 2018 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks gofar for the detailed answer even though I didn't specify what I wanted exactly. I would like to know how many songs does a regular vinyl can hold? I wanted to record an album of my own with different songs from different singers.
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89084 is a reply to message #89079] Wed, 31 October 2018 17:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, ?? I'm not sure of what you are asking. A typical record has between 20 and 40 minutes per side. Most "pop" ones have around 5-7 tracks. What exactly are you trying to record them too? A CD will hold up to about 70 minutes of music. It doesn't matter how many individual selections are on it. If you are copying to a USB device then it can hold a lot of music. It depends on what format you record it too. Even relatively small ones can hold 100's of songs.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89091 is a reply to message #89066] Sat, 03 November 2018 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
As you have noticed, I have no idea of vinyl recording. I understand that we have CD's, USB drives, or even DVD's that can hold hundreds, if not thousands, of music. I'm just thinking that playing music with a turntable is more romantic for a dinner date with my wife.
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89095 is a reply to message #89091] Sat, 03 November 2018 20:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Sorry I misunderstood what you wanted to do. It is impossible to make your own records. The equipment is not available and I don't believe I have ever (in 55 years of audio) seen any outside a large factory. I also don't believe that any record company would be interested in one off copies of anything. It is just too labor and equipment intensive.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89098 is a reply to message #89095] Sun, 04 November 2018 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
If you bought a usb turntable and recorded the music you would like for that romantic interlude, you could keep the snaps and pops that may be the ambiance your feeling nostalgic for in that setting. Then with enough music recorded for several hours of pleasant dining and toasting you'll be free from getting up and down changing records and or flipping the record over to get that one song you want. Concentrating solely on that significant other of yours, and romance.
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89113 is a reply to message #89095] Thu, 08 November 2018 03:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The sound of the turning vinyl record and the scratches that the pin makes will make us feel nostalgic indeed, because we met at a ballroom party where they were playing music from a turntable.
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89115 is a reply to message #89113] Thu, 08 November 2018 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently online  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Good luck Malfoy. Your best bet is digitizing from an analog source, (records). A cheap usb turntable should give you the sound you described. A good turntable with a decent "stylus" and clean records wouldn't sound as noisy as your description.
Re: Vinyl Recording [message #89161 is a reply to message #89066] Mon, 12 November 2018 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Viscount
Sometimes the noisy part is the one that we can't replicate. That part of the music is actually the one that I'm looking for. I may just have to go and find an old turntable and record it through my phone or another recording device, and then play it on my date with my wife. Thanks to both of you for helping.
Previous Topic: Vinyl Collectables
Next Topic: Storing vinyl records
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 12:28:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout