Home » Audio » Source » Vinyl Collectables
Vinyl Collectables [message #88794] Sat, 08 September 2018 12:08 Go to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
In the 70's, the manufacture of vinyl records was pretty much perfected in terms of the material by which they were made. In the 20's and 30's though, records were much thicker, heavier and possibly made from different material.

Of those two general time frames, which type of vinyl is worth more to collectors?
Re: Vinyl Collectables [message #88924 is a reply to message #88794] Mon, 01 October 2018 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drake is currently offline  drake
Master
I would think that the biggest names in the industry are the ones that would fetch the highest prices for their vinyl records. On the other hand, a vinyl record produced in the 20's could be costly because of its rarity.
Re: Vinyl Collectables [message #88926 is a reply to message #88924] Mon, 01 October 2018 21:07 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, IMO neither based solely on the type of disk. What makes some collectable is the actual recording. Ones that are scarce of great performers command high prices pretty much regardless of the type of disk. Older ones are indeed fewer, but many of the really desirable disks are from the 40s and newer. Some into the 60s and 70s are quite valuable. I believe the issue is one that lots of folks think that because something is old it must be more valuable than something new. In that case I should be worth millions. Laughing

BTW, early records were on a Bakelite material much of the time. Other hard plastics were also used.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Changing Music From CD to MP3
Next Topic: Vinyl Recording
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:07:24 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers