Home » xyzzy » Dungeon » Music in our Lives
Music in our Lives [message #88763] Mon, 03 September 2018 17:02 Go to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi Everyone, I posted this on another site and thought perhaps some folks here would like to chime in on it.

"I was pondering the role music plays in our lives this morning. The thought process came about as I noticed that was I more at peace with the world after a few hours of vintage folk music, mostly selections from the 60's and early 70's. I won't speak for others, and certainly don't intend to offend anyone, but it seems that the current times are similar to the ones back then. For those of us old enough to have lived through them perhaps you will agree, perhaps not. Regardless, it was a very troubled time in the US. There were all sorts of protests, many violent. The events and their protests have faded into history and newer generations might not understand how troubled the times really were. So how does this relate to music? A lot of music from that era centered around the protests. For sure there were plenty of things to protest at the time. One trait I observed, at least in the music I prefer is that it also contained hope for the future. I don't hear that now to any great extent in current music. Perhaps I am just out of tune with current music. In any case a few hours of listening to my favorite selections from that era allows me to place current events into better perspective. I am interested to hear if anyone else thinks along these lines? "

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Music in our Lives [message #88772 is a reply to message #88763] Wed, 05 September 2018 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I tend to think "those" time's were more acute. More visceral. The Vietnam war and civil rights put people's, young people's lives on the line. A draft for an unjustifiable war and protests in apartheid parts of the country for dignity and inclusion into the constitutions bill of rights, helped fashion some poignant protest music. Buffalo Springfield's, For What It's Worth pretty much personified that time and place. Today's unrest to me seem spawned by an awakening of the disparities of capitalism. And I hope this continues. It just hasn't come to a festering boil yet. Maybe that would spur on passionate youth towards a statement worth remembering in music. There's a lot of unrest in the world for sure. I enjoy reggae music from that era for the reason you say, a positive message, and that settles me right on down.
Re: Music in our Lives [message #88790 is a reply to message #88763] Sat, 08 September 2018 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Barryso is currently offline  Barryso
Master
We used to listen to music as a group - a few like minded folks sitting around and playing records. It's how we found new music and got tuned into what was going on in the world.

There are too many other things to do now other than just sit and listen to tunes. The Internet and social media eat a bunch of time that we'd have spent listening.

The ways we get music are different now, too. Instead of everyone hearing the same radio stations (even the underground FM stations) music is streamed to everyone individually. Back in the day the protest songs could be played on the underground FM stations and reach a lot of people. Now you'd have to figure out a way to attract like thinking folks to your stream/podcast before getting enough ears.

The style of protest music has also changed. Back in the Vietnam era it was folk music. It takes different forms now and the other styles of music aren't necessarily what older folks (like me) are going to hear.
Re: Music in our Lives [message #88799 is a reply to message #88790] Sat, 08 September 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Indeed sharing the experience was often part of it. As you mentioned sadly that rarely occurs now.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Music in our Lives [message #88949 is a reply to message #88763] Sun, 07 October 2018 10:21 Go to previous message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Well, if I get you right, you opine that the current crop of musicians do not (probably) address the issues at hand? In a way, I think that it is better to listen to music produced some years back, because there seemed to be more content and a deliberate attempt to address issues, as they happened.
Previous Topic: What's the Best Live Act You've Seen?
Next Topic: The Internet Is Going Down
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:50:17 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout