Home » Audio » Radio » Why Not Another Band
Why Not Another Band [message #88690] Wed, 15 August 2018 11:02 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
We have had AM (amplitude modulation) and FM (frequency modulation) radio bands for decades. Why has no one ever made another? Like OSM for example. Overall Signal Modulation.

Does the FCC not like that idea?
Re: Why Not Another Band [message #88695 is a reply to message #88690] Thu, 16 August 2018 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I suspect it is a combination of economics and availablity of free band space. I doubt that any company would try to create a new form of radio at the moment as it would cost a fortune. Besides it would need to do something better that what exists now and convince lots of buyers to purchase the gear to listen to it. With AM, FM, Satellite for mobiles and where available via WIFI high resolution downloads...I see no need. Someone could possibly do something over the web that used existing gear and only needed software to use... still a long shot. For over the air...bands are generally not available. Buying space on one would be hugely costly (just ask the cell phone providers). Public service bands would not have the coverage desired either.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Why Not Another Band [message #88738 is a reply to message #88690] Sun, 26 August 2018 21:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Gofar99 said it all.

To me, it is like creating my own internet and letting all people know that my internet is far better than the existing one. The cost and effort to convince people will be huge while the success rate is tiny.
Re: Why Not Another Band [message #88760 is a reply to message #88738] Mon, 03 September 2018 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
That's a good point, but how many search engines are there now?

I know that's kind of an apples to oranges comparison, but creating a new version of something already existing can be done and people will use it. People like options.
Re: Why Not Another Band [message #88894 is a reply to message #88690] Thu, 27 September 2018 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
My analogy with the internet is not the same as the search engines. Search engines use the platform of the internet, which is the HTTP world. If I will create a different platform, then I will have a hard time convincing people that my platform is better than the existing one.
Re: Why Not Another Band [message #91139 is a reply to message #88690] Mon, 11 November 2019 12:43 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Sadly, I think you may be right. I would like to see it happen though just so I could try something new.

Maybe somebody with deep enough pockets someday will come along.
Previous Topic: Starting a radio station
Next Topic: Why do people want antique radios?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 16:47:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio