Home » Audio » Source » Walkman or CD-Man
Walkman or CD-Man [message #88627] Wed, 08 August 2018 21:45 Go to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
In the late 80's and early 90's, we can look cool having a walkman or a CD-Man in our bags. Today, I seldom see people who have those gadgets because everyone can use their phones to listen to music. I'm saving my walkman for future generations to see what we have been using before.
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #88634 is a reply to message #88627] Thu, 09 August 2018 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
Good idea. I remember my computer class in high school, and we were still using floppy disks. Right now, students don't even know what a floppy disk is, much less a walkman.
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #88640 is a reply to message #88634] Thu, 09 August 2018 17:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, What's a computer? Laughing Laughing

I use a hi-res portable player for music on the go. Far better than nearly any phone. But...they are getting closer.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #88671 is a reply to message #88640] Fri, 10 August 2018 21:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 09 August 2018 17:33
Hi, What's a computer? Laughing Laughing

It is a gaming device. Laughing

Speaking of portable player, is iPod still a better music player than regular phones? Sadly, I use my iPod just for transferring files.
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #88708 is a reply to message #88627] Wed, 22 August 2018 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Noise is currently offline  The Noise
Master
I wonder how much money a new, still-in-the-box Walkman could fetch right now?

Is it true that the Japanese pay top dollar for our retro electronics?
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #88723 is a reply to message #88708] Thu, 23 August 2018 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
The Noise wrote on Wed, 22 August 2018 01:11
Is it true that the Japanese pay top dollar for our retro electronics?

I wouldn't be surprised if the Japanese would pay a good price for a retro electronic. A few of them even collect old baseball cards.

I just don't know whether the collectors buy old things for display or are they going to use it for nostalgic purposes.
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #89078 is a reply to message #88627] Tue, 30 October 2018 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Duks is currently offline  Duks
Chancellor
You must be really good at keeping stuff if you still have a functioning walkman. It's not a bad idea to continue keeping it if you ask me. Do you have cassettes too?
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #89358 is a reply to message #88723] Sat, 15 December 2018 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheWanderer is currently offline  TheWanderer
Baron
Nostalgia is big these days. Just look at the entertainment industry. 90% of "new" media is just rehashed old ideas to bring in a few bucks. This is expanding further with the release of retro gaming systems such as the NES, SNES and PlayStation. I don't think it'll be too long before retro audio devices are released. In fact, it's already happening. Look at how many young people have record players! Soon, having a Walkman or CD player will be desirable once again for the "improved sound quality" Rolling Eyes
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #89382 is a reply to message #89358] Sun, 16 December 2018 20:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I have both a functioning Walkman and a CD player. The Fiio is better than both though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Walkman or CD-Man [message #89607 is a reply to message #88627] Tue, 22 January 2019 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
mamoss is currently offline  mamoss
Master
Junior wrote on Wed, 08 August 2018 21:45
In the late 80's and early 90's, we can look cool having a walkman or a CD-Man in our bags. Today, I seldom see people who have those gadgets because everyone can use their phones to listen to music. I'm saving my walkman for future generations to see what we have been using before.
Walkmans were still in use in the late 90s, though not as popular. I still have my walkman with me and it will be a great device to show to the future generation. Listening to music through the phone may be a cool thing but nothing close to what the experience was like twenty or so years ago.
Previous Topic: What explains new popularity of vinyl records?
Next Topic: Too Many Choices
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:48:09 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout