Home » Audio » Radio » News or Music
Re: News or Music [message #96215 is a reply to message #88617] Thu, 01 December 2022 18:15 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently online  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Can't believe I missed this thread. 'Cause radio is a "calm passion" of mine and has been for years.

I say "calm passion" because I was never as obsessive about radio as I was about other stuff - like cars, computers and hifi - but I've always been fascinated by radio, especially shortwave and AM. I like it for its communications aspect more than for its entertainment and commercial uses.

But I say "communications" somewhat vaguely, in that there is definitely a blend of entertainment and maybe (probably) even propaganda mixed in there. I'm talking about talk radio as it was in its youth, when it was used for communications for ships and planes as well as for things like shortwave broadcasts and the kinds of radio programs that were popular before television. So you see what I mean when I say "a blend of entertainment and propaganda" in addition to communications. "Talk radio" is part news, part entertainment, part propaganda, part documentary and part communications. It spans the gamut of intellectual pursuits.

Podcasts are very much like this format.

I like FM radio too, but mostly just as background music while driving. I usually take my own media in cars - be it cassette, CD or flash memory puck (depending on the car) - but sometimes listen to music on the radio. Usually if Kelly is in the car, we're listening to music, and if we don't have "our own" playlist music on media of some sort, then we listen to music radio on the FM band.
Previous Topic: 1922 Westinghouse Aeriola
Next Topic: Vlissingen 1485 AM
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:41:00 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout