Home » Audio » Source » Old tape recorder to digital
Old tape recorder to digital [message #88514] Wed, 25 July 2018 14:53 Go to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
My aunt has given me an old tape recorder that was popular with teenagers in the seventies. It has some old piano music on it that was played by some of my older relatives.

Any bright ideas about the best way to get this music onto digital so I can share it around the family members?
Re: Old tape recorder to digital [message #88516 is a reply to message #88514] Wed, 25 July 2018 16:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Since it is analog you will need to make it play to copy it to digital. Most PCs have an audio input of some sort. It will be either line level or mic level. Line is the better choice. The problem is whether or not the tape player has a suitable output. Many have line outputs and that would be the choice to use. A direct connection from them to the line inputs on a PC. Other devices can also have audio inputs (phones, tablets etc) and will also work to varying degrees. If there is no line output on the tape player then it may have an earphone output and you can try that with the line inputs on the recording device. Depending on the quality of the audio from the tape player you can often adjust the recording on the PC (etc). I would not go below 24/96 for the resulting files. A program such as Audacity (free BTW) on a PC makes editing easy. You can also clean up the sound a bit. Once the file is digital it is easy to send to other folks.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Old tape recorder to digital [message #88610 is a reply to message #88514] Tue, 07 August 2018 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Thankyou for mentioning Audacity, gofar99, I may take a look at that. It sounds like it might be useful for some of my little pet projects. It's good to see that it's free and open source.

I think there used to be a course in sound technology at my local tech, but I'm not sure if it still exists, (or probably now it's really expensive to do!).
Re: Old tape recorder to digital [message #88628 is a reply to message #88514] Wed, 08 August 2018 21:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
What is the difference between the bit rates? I used Audacity before. I set the bit rate to 320 Kbps thinking that it is the best quality. Is this a good practice?
Re: Old tape recorder to digital [message #88641 is a reply to message #88628] Thu, 09 August 2018 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
What format was the 320? It sounds like you were making MP3s. I use Audacity to make 24/96 wav copies of vinyl and use that with a high quality external sound card to put onto tape...just opposite of what you are doing. If the original tapes you have are only modest quality then MP3 is probably OK. Some of the other formats might make better copies though.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Old tape recorder to digital [message #88685 is a reply to message #88514] Wed, 15 August 2018 01:38 Go to previous message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
Oh, I'm sorry about that. You were right that I was referring to MP3. I didn't think you were making a "wav" file. We were using the same software, but different outputs.
Previous Topic: Saving Music Compilation
Next Topic: Cleaning The Cassette Tapes
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 07:16:43 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout