Home » Audio » Source » Ortofon
Ortofon [message #12470] Sat, 20 August 2005 12:11 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I see a lot of Ortofon fans; how come no one listens to the 540 MM? I always liked the sound of that cart and it's pretty cheap and nice and high output as well.

Re: Ortofon [message #12477 is a reply to message #12470] Sun, 21 August 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I toyed with the idea of that cartridge when I moved up from the OM 20 to the OM 30. I just didn't see any feedback on it, so I went with the upgrade of what I was familiar with. Have you tried one, or just wondering also?

Russellc

Re: Ortofon [message #12478 is a reply to message #12477] Sun, 21 August 2005 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yes but it was a few years ago on my old Thorens TD 160 Super. I liked it because it sounded mellow and smooth and tracked well. The only other Ortofon I compared it with at the time was the MC5. Thats a high output MC I don't know if they still make them. I liked the MM better.
What are you looking to spend Russell?

Re: Ortofon [message #12479 is a reply to message #12478] Sun, 21 August 2005 19:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
I'm not looking right now, I have just considered that choice before. Right now I am happy with the V15Vxmr. Not a perfect cartridge, but a very good match for my current system. I do consider what might replace it, but it would have to be a clear improvement over the shure. and unless I change arms, I need something that mates with my ultra low mass arm. Which brings up another headache...I am buying one of Anthonys new AR sub chassis mods and will have to have its arm board cut for my arm...maybe its time for a morch UP 4. something I will have to decide as the armboard is not removable, its all in one piece with the sub chassis.

Russellc

Re: Ortofon [message #12480 is a reply to message #12479] Sun, 21 August 2005 20:05 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I think your barking up the right tree. IMO there are certain purchases I have never regreted or sought to change; my Linn is one of them and I would think the Morch would be a similar type of find. Something you could live with forever. I heard one on a showroom set-up and while I can't say what part the arm played overall, it was one of the best system front ends.
Nothing good is cheap/ nothing cheap is good.

Previous Topic: Sanyo DC Servo Turntable TP-727
Next Topic: Phono Stage
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 09:58:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout