Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things
Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #88246] Mon, 25 June 2018 09:30 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Have you guys seen the man who made music out of buckets? How about the Marble Machine, isn't that really amazing? Lately, I saw a video of a man who created music from wine bottles. I'm trying to learn how to play music with wine glasses by touching the rim of the glass. What about you guys, do any of you play music using ordinary things?
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #88299 is a reply to message #88246] Tue, 03 July 2018 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
I've seen the Marble Machine and it is spectacular how he made it. I don't have the patience to create such instrument, but I do appreciate listening to one. I can play a simple music using a banana leaf.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #89108 is a reply to message #88246] Wed, 07 November 2018 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Reggie is currently offline  Reggie
Baron
I'm not sure whether whistling can be considered here. I've heard performer in the subway where he whistled as a way to entertain people. His whistling sounded relaxing to me.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #89122 is a reply to message #89108] Thu, 08 November 2018 17:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
The Marble Machine idea is clever! I can't believe one is made out of 2,000 marbles. They have several videos on YouTube each one more creative than the last.

As far as making instruments out of everyday materials, it reminds of the Blue Man Group. Remember them? They were popular in the 90's and still perform today. They used trash cans, broom sticks, bottles, and just about anything you can of.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #89150 is a reply to message #88246] Sat, 10 November 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pato is currently offline  Pato
Chancellor
I used to do it in high school; using a pen and my hands on a table. I wasn't too good though. Also, I met a guy some years ago who could beatbox (make musical sounds with his mouth) really impressively.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #89152 is a reply to message #88246] Sun, 11 November 2018 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
The 90's have a lot of people doing the beatbox. It was the time that rap was getting popular, so it might coincide with beatbox getting popular as well.

I'm sure most of you have seen people who have used pails as drums. I'm really impressed with how they can make a great rhythm with those pails.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #92781 is a reply to message #88246] Wed, 16 December 2020 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
penguin89 is currently offline  penguin89
Baron
This thread makes me think about my kids taking spoons and banging them on pots Laughing It sounds like music to them, that's for sure! Rolling Eyes

I haven't heard of The Marble Machine before, but now I'm hooked! The creativity of others never ceases to amaze me!
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #92944 is a reply to message #88246] Wed, 13 January 2021 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Souldude is currently offline  Souldude
Viscount
It's cool music can be created from almost anything. It can say something about the cultural background too. When you think about it, our perception unconsciously changes when listening to a certain type of music.
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #94216 is a reply to message #92781] Sat, 14 August 2021 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spotifier is currently offline  Spotifier
Baron
I think everyone has used table utensils to tap the table for fun during their childhood. It reminds me of a scene in a movie where the guy enjoys his drumsticks everywhere he went as long as he has somewhere to tap.

penguin89 wrote on Wed, 16 December 2020 23:18
This thread makes me think about my kids taking spoons and banging them on pots Laughing It sounds like music to them, that's for sure! Rolling Eyes
Re: Creating Music Out Of Ordinary Things [message #95203 is a reply to message #88246] Sun, 06 February 2022 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Someone told me once that they were going to put 3 teakettles on the stove for an experiment. They would put liquids in all 3 and make sure the liquids were all different in terms of "thickness". Water, milk, soda, etc.... so as to get different sounds.

They would do this and, once they started boiling and that flipper lid thing started whistling they would alternate the heat under all of them so he could vary the tunes coming out of it.

I think he lost interest and never did it, but if anyone gets bored and wants to try it, post the results here.
Previous Topic: The Intellectual People Podcast - Acry-Tech (DuraTex)
Next Topic: Beyond the grave
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 05:40:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout