Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Movies About The Artists
Movies About The Artists [message #88244] Sun, 24 June 2018 14:38 Go to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Remember the "movie" Gimme Shelter? Basically a documentary about the Altamont concert in 1969.

Why don't we see more of these types of movies? I believe there would be a market for it if they made more movies that that.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88247 is a reply to message #88244] Mon, 25 June 2018 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
The problem I see with creating a movie involving a specific artist is that the people who will watch the movie are the ones who liked that specific kind of music that the artist is playing.

August Rush is not specifically about an artist, but different people can relate to that movie because many of us wanted to have a good relationship with our loved ones.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88380 is a reply to message #88244] Sun, 08 July 2018 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
I enjoyed the movie about Tina Turner's life, "What's Love Got To Do With It". Sad in parts, but eventually she wins through. Angela Bassett turned in an excellent performance as Tina.

I also enjoyed "The Doors", about, well, The Doors, directed by Oliver Stone. I thought that Val Kilmer was brilliant as Jim Morrison.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88382 is a reply to message #88244] Sun, 08 July 2018 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Val Kilmer was good as Jim Morrison, but I thought Eddie Vedder would have been a good choice as well.

What I was thinking about with this was not so much a documentary about an artist, but making a movie about their life. Leaning more on the entertainment side and not so much on the documentary side.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88387 is a reply to message #88382] Sun, 08 July 2018 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Definitely a twist on this subject. But an odd irreverent one that I got a kick out of. Bubba Ho Tep was just a spoof really involving the notion that Elvis didn't die. His look alike impersonator died from the excesses of fame. They'd switched places so the real Elvi could enjoy some anonymity and still be able to perform like he use to. But he broke his hip from a fall and ended up in a east Texas nursing home that just happens to be inhabited by a spirit of an Egyptian Pharaoh, (whom is feeding upon the resident's souls). Elvis and Jack Kennedy, (another resident who is black) team up to fight this soul suck'n mummy wearing cowboy boot's and hat. Totally ridiculous. But very satisfying for a pleasant laugh. Thank you, thank you very much, amigo.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88409 is a reply to message #88244] Mon, 09 July 2018 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
I saw The Doors with Val Kilmer too, and really liked it. I really got into The Doors long after Jim Morrison's departure from life - which was really sad. He died mysteriously in Paris, and I have seen his grave in Pere Lachaise (Paris).

Some say he did not really die, because in life he often talked about faking his own death, and said that he would come back as Mr Mojo Risin.

Incidentally, has anyone read No One Here Gets Out Alive by Jerry Hopkins? It's an excellent read. If you enjoyed the aforementioned film, you will enjoy this book.
Re: Movies About The Artists [message #88456 is a reply to message #88244] Tue, 17 July 2018 22:15 Go to previous message
KrisHS is currently offline  KrisHS
Chancellor
The Doors is an excellent movie!

I haven't read that book before, Floyd, but that sounds like an interesting read. I'll have to add it to my neverending list of books I want to read.

There have been quite a few movies about specific artists, a lot of them are critically-acclaimed too. Walk the Line, Ray, and Selena are just some examples. I think that the reason there aren't a whole lot of them is because of the reason that Malfoy mentioned - it can limit the audience to just fans of that particular artist. However, when it's about someone as classic as Ray Charles or Johnny Cash, they're a little bit safer.

Previous Topic: Red Sparrow
Next Topic: Best guitar rifs in a song?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 13:00:02 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout