Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Wood or Carpet Flooring
Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88163] Mon, 11 June 2018 20:25 Go to next message
Malfoy is currently offline  Malfoy
Viscount
Hello everyone. I have an extra bedroom that I will transform into my music room. Which material is best to use for the flooring to produce a better sound when recording my own music, wood or carpet?
Re: Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88229 is a reply to message #88163] Fri, 22 June 2018 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
It would all depend on what sound you're going for. Carpet absorbs sound while it bounces off wood. Softer material versus harder material.

Listen to something recently produced by T-Bone Burnett, then listen to any given song off "The Captain and the Kid" by Elton John. There is a different "texture" to the sounds. The T-Bone stuff just sounds softer somehow, while that John album has a "tinny" sound.
Re: Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88236 is a reply to message #88163] Sat, 23 June 2018 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viscount
Thanks for that advice. I'm aiming for capturing a good quality of the instruments. My floor is made of concrete and that can create sound quality is good already. I'm only wondering if placing a carpet or wood will enhance the recording. I agree with the softer tone on carpet and a crisper sound with wood, but I cannot make up my mind on this.
Re: Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88238 is a reply to message #88236] Sat, 23 June 2018 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Generally too many reflections can make music sound indistinct and fuzzy. Wood floors will reflect and carpet tends to absorb it. So I guess it depends on what sort of sound you desire. I much prefer carpet.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88251 is a reply to message #88163] Mon, 25 June 2018 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One way to decide is to decide which type of floor would be cheapest to replace should it not be the right type.

You could also start with wood and then go with throw rugs or other dampeners if the initial sound is too "bare".
Re: Wood or Carpet Flooring [message #88259 is a reply to message #88163] Thu, 28 June 2018 02:21 Go to previous message
Viscount
I like your suggestion Kingfish although the plan might end up more costly because I have to have or buy rugs after covering my floor with wood. I will still consider your idea because I can always place a carpet over a wood flooring.
Previous Topic: Sound diffuser blueprints
Next Topic: Shapes of acoustic panels
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:26:11 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout