Home » Audio » Source » ID of LP's
ID of LP's [message #12454] Sun, 14 August 2005 10:04 Go to next message
packratt is currently offline  packratt
Chancellor
If it is not on the lable, how can you differentiate between 33 1/3 and 78's?

Thanks
packratt

Re: ID of LP's [message #12455 is a reply to message #12454] Sun, 14 August 2005 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
78's are made of shellac.

Re: ID of LP's [message #12456 is a reply to message #12454] Sun, 14 August 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
believe it or not I have seen some old LPs that are pretty stiff and thick and look like shellac records. at first glance it can actually be hard to tell but a close look at the groves shows the difference. but don't try bending the record to see if it's made ov vinyl---crack.

Re: ID of LP's [message #12457 is a reply to message #12455] Sun, 14 August 2005 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
The reason I'm asking is I picked up a couple nice Classical Symphonic box sets that I'm going to list on e-bay and I don't want to make any errors.

The 2 Columbia Masters sets (c. unknown) and Music Appreciation Recordings set(c.1941) are about 3/16" thick and one of the albums has a little ding on the edge and is starting to delaminate but the damage doesn't extend into the play area. I'm about 99% certain that these are 78s.

The China Records set is actually thinner than most of the 70's to 80's LPs I've handled. They say 33 1/3 on the label. The interesting thing about them is they have liner notes??? (18 loose pages) in Chinese.

Re: ID of LP's [message #12458 is a reply to message #12457] Sun, 14 August 2005 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
So are 78's valuable?

Re: ID of LP's [message #12459 is a reply to message #12458] Sun, 14 August 2005 20:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Heck if I know. The price was right and with the exception of the one disc all were in what I would consider excellent conditon.

In doing research trying to figure out what I want to get for a turntable I've seen a fair number of references to cartriges and stylus for 78. I will likely get a reconditioned Dual from the Turntable Factory. In looking at Duals on e-bay trying to figure out if I wanted to gamble on an unreconditioned one the 1200 series seems a whole lot more popular than the 500 which has better stats. The 1200 series has 78 while the 500 doesn't.

I saw there was enough interest to pick up a couple and see what hapens. If I get my money back I'll be happy. If I make a few bucks I'll be happier.

Le

Re: ID of LP's [message #12460 is a reply to message #12459] Mon, 15 August 2005 20:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Vinyl is a tuff nut. There are so many people and there is so much fraud and fakery. The time to get involved was fifteen yrs ago. But good luck.
Even as a hardcore vinyl guy I seriously consider cashing out more and more often. At this point the investment aspect sucks and CD is pretty good now. And to be honest laziness plays a part also.

Re: ID of LP's [message #12468 is a reply to message #12460] Wed, 17 August 2005 18:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
Manual, I infer from what you say that the vinyl thing is old hat. I however, feel that my best CD listening stuff comes from vinyl. I also rip CD and burn it but it is so harsh--the base is boomy and the highs play so shrill. And with cassettes, they are too lame and lack any luster. Vinyl copies the best to CD.

I also notice that so much music material is no longer available on CD.

Re: ID of LP's [message #12469 is a reply to message #12468] Thu, 18 August 2005 09:32 Go to previous message
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Oh don't get me wrong; I agree. Vinyl still beats CD like a drum. And that music may never be available again. So you are correct. My point was to try and buy records for the investment potential is impossible now and the amount of time and effort involved in setting up a turntable properly and keeping it running right is difficult. Replacing cartridges, belts etc. Then trying to buy vinyl used knowing that most likely whoever owned it previously did not track the album properly so there is mis-tracking and distortion from unequal tracking forces; inner-groove distortion etc.
Then the sharks that hover over every record venue stacking up on all the decent vinyl and holding it until it can be sold for rediculous prices. And they keep the good stuff out of circulation so you cannot even hear it. Anyone who believes those stories about the guy who finds all these great records at the Salvation Army or some garage sale are kidding themselves.

Previous Topic: Grados,ortophons,shures and AR turntable hum
Next Topic: Anti Skate
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 06:34:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout