Home » Audio » Source » Ping Hurdy-Gurdy
Ping Hurdy-Gurdy [message #12442] Wed, 10 August 2005 13:24 Go to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
I am unable to link to the thesis defining the differences between S-Shaped and Straight line Tonearms. I can give you the very short story and if it is interesting I can follow up with the math and theory.
The inertia of the effective mass at the stylus tip is the least value with a straight arm, given by the equation detailing the moment of inertia of the pickup arm and counterbalance about the axis of rotation,( the arm pivot), divided by the sqaure of the effective arm length. In other words a straight arm will have less inertia present at the stylus tip and therefor should provide a less wearing less distorted output.
If you do a search of tonearm geometry there is several sites that do an indepth analysis of this behaviour.
Try Baerwald; there is a good pdf. file dictating some of his work on the tangency of pivoted arms.

Re: Ping Hurdy-Gurdy [message #12445 is a reply to message #12442] Wed, 10 August 2005 16:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Thanks for the reply. I'll try another seach soon, but with a phone modem, it can take time. Last time I gave up after trying a yahoo search for awhile.

Dave

Re: Ping Hurdy-Gurdy [message #12448 is a reply to message #12445] Wed, 10 August 2005 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Well Dave; thats why we are here. If you would like to read this let me know. Still making music these days?

Re: Ping Hurdy-Gurdy [message #12450 is a reply to message #12448] Wed, 10 August 2005 20:58 Go to previous message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
>Still making music these days?
Previous Topic: Audio CD-R Compatibility
Next Topic: HELP with my Acoustic Research XA!
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu May 09 12:59:49 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio