Home » Sponsored » Pi Speakers » On Fence (Trying to decide between pi3 with upgraded woofer or pi4 with standard)
On Fence [message #88049] Mon, 21 May 2018 17:01 Go to next message
ggnarley is currently offline  ggnarley
Chancellor
Trying to decide between pi3 with upgraded woofer or pi4 with standard woofer . Will be going with upgraded Horns on both and all but resistor upgrades.

I am calling it a wash in price between the 2, but wondering if there are any large sonic differences. A plus with the pi4 is I could later swap out the woofer to the JBL 2226 (and few x over parts).

Have been binge reading all of Wayne's docs (going to take a few more readings to get it to sink in) so I am going to stick with building exact size recommended, and perhaps putting putting some old style grill cloth on to enhance WAF.

Wayne, thanks for all the work you do for the DIY community.

Any thoughts.

Re: On Fence [message #88051 is a reply to message #88049] Mon, 21 May 2018 17:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

The upgraded midwoofers are definitely worth it.

If you haven't already seen these from the FAQ, check 'em out:

Re: On Fence [message #88052 is a reply to message #88049] Mon, 21 May 2018 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joshua43214 is currently offline  joshua43214
Baron
I was on this same fence for a long time.

I finally ordered a pair of 1Pi's both to see if Wayne really was the master of speaker design (he is), and if Eminence drivers would make me happy (they do).

I just completed the 2Pi towers, and they might be the best bass reflex speakers I have heard for their size etc.

I expect the 6Pi's I am working on now will make me very happy with Eminence drivers. That said, I love JBL speakers, and believe Wayne when he says they are worth the upgrade.

Hope this helps.
-Josh
Re: On Fence [message #88056 is a reply to message #88052] Mon, 21 May 2018 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Josh and Wayne,

Thanks for the input, Looks like two votes for the JBL 2226. Just needed a little push.

As the saying goes, a few more greenbacks now will lead to happy ears for many years.

Now I am going to have to figure out what to say to Better Half when the Pi's suddenly take the place of small bookshelf speakers in the living room. Perhaps I can explain that the old speakers just hit puberty and had a huge growth spurt. Laughing

Thanks
Paul
Re: On Fence [message #88063 is a reply to message #88056] Tue, 22 May 2018 15:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Wayne,

Can you please send plans for the 4pi? Going to see if I can come up with a design that could be used as an end table while keeping same size cabinet. WAF is key.

Now on the hunt for the JBL 2226 units.

Thanks
Paul
Re: On Fence [message #88064 is a reply to message #88063] Tue, 22 May 2018 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

You've got mail!

One note - When contemplating mods, please see the following threads from the FAQ:
Re: On Fence [message #88067 is a reply to message #88064] Tue, 22 May 2018 19:36 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Wayne,

Many thanks for the plans and links.

Paul
Previous Topic: 3Pi Sub plans, and some other questions.
Next Topic: One Pi speaker plan request
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:49:53 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout