Home » Audio » General » Keeping pace with technology
Keeping pace with technology [message #88035] Thu, 17 May 2018 14:58 Go to next message
audiophil2 is currently offline  audiophil2
Chancellor
How have you kept pace with technology? Going back in time, there were records, reel-to-reel, 8-tracks, cassettes, CDs and now mp3s. Converting CDs to mp3s is pretty simple but what did people do in the past?
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88038 is a reply to message #88035] Thu, 17 May 2018 20:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
I believe you can use Audacity to convert a lot of audio types if you know how to do it or are willing to learn. I took my grandparents reel-to-reel tapes to a professional because I was afraid to mess them up. I think we have it easier today when it comes to converting music.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88189 is a reply to message #88035] Sat, 16 June 2018 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Well, here lately I've been discovering Spotify. My daugher saw me using You Tube a lot to listen to music so she told me about the alternative. I'm glad she did because I love that service.

Now, after making a playlist I want to convert it to CD. Wal Mart has a service to make physical photos from you phone, so maybe this too?
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88204 is a reply to message #88035] Mon, 18 June 2018 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
audiophil2 wrote on Thu, 17 May 2018 14:58
Converting CDs to mp3s is pretty simple but what did people do in the past?

Caveman 1 converted the sound that Caveman 2 made note for note. The conversion was done by ear and how we interpreted that sound.

But now, I keep pace with audio technology based on my needs. If I don't need to learn the latest gadget that just came out, I wont.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88205 is a reply to message #88204] Mon, 18 June 2018 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
[/quote]
But now, I keep pace with audio technology based on my needs. If I don't need to learn the latest gadget that just came out, I wont.
[/quote]

Exactly.
I do the same.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88206 is a reply to message #88205] Mon, 18 June 2018 21:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I keep up with technological developments, but do not always use them. I just like the knowledge. Cool Sometimes it gives me ideas for projects. However, about 90% of the time I design and build things with tubes. I don't shun digital and do indeed use some formats, but the latest media and gear is not to my taste. It ought to be obvious from the source components in my main system....three turntables, a reel to reel recorder, a cassette recorder, an Oppo Blue Ray, and yes a PC (I needed something to test things from time to time...it is not a music server).

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88210 is a reply to message #88206] Tue, 19 June 2018 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
gofar99 wrote on Mon, 18 June 2018 21:33
Hi, I keep up with technological developments, but do not always use them. I just like the knowledge. Cool

So you're a hoarder...of knowledge...got it. Cool

Actually, I guess I gain knowledge as well because in order to know whether I need the tech. or not, I have to learn what it does.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88256 is a reply to message #88035] Wed, 27 June 2018 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jazzy is currently offline  Jazzy
Viscount
My father used to borrow a cassette tape and then record it with the radio. He had a lot of collections because of what he was doing. The problem though is that the recording also captures whatever is in the background noise.

I'm not keeping up with technology and I will let the experts tinker with whatever inventions they like to do. I will go with the flow of whatever is available and affordable that technology can offer.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88327 is a reply to message #88035] Wed, 04 July 2018 19:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Floyd is currently offline  Floyd
Chancellor
Talking about what people did in the past in terms of audio: my Dad told me that back in the days of vinyl people bought a vinyl record, then recorded it onto a tape cassette, then played the cassette, leaving their vinyl in near mint condition.

As for keeping up-to-date with the latest technology, I find it best to read as much as possible, google as much as possible, chat with friends, and look up things on YouTube, because there are some really informative videos out there.
Re: Keeping pace with technology [message #88401 is a reply to message #88035] Mon, 09 July 2018 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Junior is currently offline  Junior
Viscount
I think MP3's will stay with us for a long time. The format will occupy only a small space for storage and can be played in almost any kind of gadget nowadays. I was born during the time when cassette tapes were being replaced by CD's so I was intrigued how the quality of vinyl sounded like after I found the collection of my grandfather.
Previous Topic: Mac or PC?
Next Topic: Free Digital Equalizer
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:57:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout