Home » Audio » Source » Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly?
Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12441] Wed, 10 August 2005 04:49 Go to next message
BillEpstein is currently offline  BillEpstein
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Don't wanna spend $300 bux fer new?
Is that yer problem, Bunkie?
Get thee to a local acrylic fabricator. My new, taller (to clear the SME arm) and nicer made unit cost $70 bux!

Re: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12443 is a reply to message #12441] Wed, 10 August 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Very nice. My AR the turntable's top doesnt quite clear mr Merrill platter, which is slightly larger than the original. What are the shelves of your rack made of? I built a similar stand, but am only using mdf. Your idea spruces it up considerable. What did you use?

Russellc

Re: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12444 is a reply to message #12443] Wed, 10 August 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
3 pieces of 8/4 Maple edge-joined. Turned out to have a lot of "quilting" after I planed it from rough. I don't hold with a lot of tweaks but have no doubt that different woods react to vibrations in their own way.
My first rack was MDF and those shelves quickly became scrap 'cause even good CD's were made unlistenable.
JMHO.

Re: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12447 is a reply to message #12441] Wed, 10 August 2005 16:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Bill,

You should post a pic of your whole system. I'd like to see more, including those speakers.

I like that dustcover. I may to look into having one made for my old AR-XA.

Dave

Re: Boring system pix [message #12449 is a reply to message #12447] Wed, 10 August 2005 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Bugle with CD/Fono inputs and switch next to TT; Verve pre-amp awaiting main amps; Sony 775 modded by Matthew Anker and Audio Note Kit One

Magnificently shiny chrome transformer covers

Soon to be installed Welborne DRD 45's with 'Antique Radio" finish. They are, after all, antique radio tubes. Absolutely brand new RCA Cunningham engraved base from 193?

And the reason the speakers have both grill and port guards?

8 weeks old she spent the first night inside the cabinets nestled in the fiberglass! To escape Muse.
She needs a name..........

Re: Boring system pix [message #12451 is a reply to message #12449] Wed, 10 August 2005 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hurdy_gurdyman is currently offline  hurdy_gurdyman
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Certainly not boring system pics. Love the speakers! I need to make some better looking speakers soon for my own self-esteem.

Dave

Re: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12452 is a reply to message #12441] Thu, 11 August 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Wow, that's excellent, Bill! I'm impressed. Looks great!

Re: Is your vintage table dust cover cracked and ugly? [message #12839 is a reply to message #12441] Mon, 06 March 2006 22:56 Go to previous message
Paul C. is currently offline  Paul C.
Master
Can't fix the cracks, but for dull scratched up dust covers, get some KIT ScratchOut. This is a very fine plastic polish sold for polishing motorbike helmet face shields, plexiglass, and other plastics. Use a soft cloth and a few minutes of polishing by hand (RESIST the temptation to use a Dremel Tool and cloth wheel).

This polish is sold in automotive stores and Walmart. Look for the bright yellow bottle.

Or look for any polish recommended for use on plexiglass and other plastics.

Previous Topic: why won't my turntable play clear vinyl?
Next Topic: Turntable sounds tinny or metalic without much base
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 17:33:15 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout