Home » Audio » Speaker » Advise on speaker choice and questions
Advise on speaker choice and questions [message #87877] Wed, 25 April 2018 10:46 Go to next message
Bpatterson is currently offline  Bpatterson
Esquire
im looking for a nice set of speakers for my home audio. i do not know what im getting myself into when it comes to speakers, i plan on doing a whole system eventually. i have a current system that works (mostly free hand me downs) but sound quality is not all that great. (compared to my father in-laws diy speaker build)

im looking at one of the diy speaker kits because i do enjoy wood working on the side and would want to add my own personal touch to them. currently my entertainment system is my everything. i game (pc and xbox) watch movies and play music loud enough to hear while im on the back deck or doing the honey do list.

i only have a receiver and two floor standing speakers which im looking to replace at the moment. i have a room about 20x13 with 10 ft ceilings where the speakers will be placed.

currently looking at the pi 6 as the diy kit.

i have three questions.

1. what speaker kit would you recommend?
2. are the diy build plans easy to understand/follow?
3. is it worth the extras to get the different woofer and the capacitor and resistors?

i cannot say cost is not a big deal, but im looking around $800-1000 max.

Thanks in advance for all the help in making my decision.

index.php?t=getfile&id=2085&private=0

• Attachment: 1.jpg
    (Size: 35.93KB, Downloaded 477 times)
Re: Advise on speaker choice and questions [message #87878 is a reply to message #87877] Wed, 25 April 2018 11:25 Go to previous message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Since you mentioned the six π loudspeaker, I'll respond to those specific questions. As for your general questions, I'll leave those to others to respond. If you want more detailed information about π Speakers, I suggest posting on our support forum:That said, I'll answer your questions briefly here.

In your room - the room layout you showed above - I would absolutely recommend constant-directivity cornerhorns, like the six π or seven π cornerhorns. They will make the best use of the room's layout. To understand why, see "Speaker placement and wavefront launch" from the π Speakers FAQ. You can also learn about options and upgrades in this FAQ. Look in the "Models, Upgrades and Driver Characteristics" section. The link called "Upgrades" tells you what benefits you can expect from each option.

If you are a competent woodworker, the constant directivity cornerhorn isn't a very difficult build. It isn't as easy as a typical "box" speaker, but it doesn't have an internal labyrinth with a lot of pieces like folded horns, so it isn't nearly as hard to build.

Previous Topic: Speakers for Classical Music
Next Topic: Speaker wires
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 17:57:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout