Home » Audio » Measurement » Complaining neighbors
Complaining neighbors [message #87749] Sat, 07 April 2018 22:14 Go to next message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
I live in a duplex and try to be as respectful as I can with my music volume. My new neighbor complained about the volume of my music. So I've been careful about it. Lo and behold, they're complaining again. There's no way I'm making that much noise. They keep threatening to get our property manager involved. What's a good tool/way to measure noise levels?
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #87755 is a reply to message #87749] Sun, 08 April 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
A db meter.

Will the property manager allow you to make modifications?

Putting up an additional layer of drywall can help dramatically, and it's not very difficult.

A layer of 5/8's adhered (16" on center) with a soft adhesive or "green glue" can work wonders.
Don't forget to remove the few screws that held the sheets up once the glue dries...you want the new drywall layer decoupled from the old wall, and leaving the screws can help create a sonic "short circuit" to the original wall.

Better yet is to frame a wall directly across (but not touching) your shared (common) wall, using flimsy 1-5/8ths metal studs or resilient channel, 2' on center, with 5/8ths sheathing.

This flimsy wall (aside from acting as a large panel bass absorber) will almost completely decouple your room from theirs, except for the attachments at the ceiling and floor.
These points can also be somewhat decoupled using rubber strips (I use cheap 10' lengths of rubber, garage door bottom seal from the depot) above and below your ceiling and floor starter tracks.

In the past, all common/shared walls where always built out of solid masonry, to avoid the possibility of noise disturbance from the adjacent living space, and also to act as a fire stop.

Of course this way of construction is more exspensive.

Good luck!
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #88479 is a reply to message #87749] Sat, 21 July 2018 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Yes, I would be inclined to go down the road of soundproofing your home. If the neighbours can't hear anything, then they won't have anything to complain about.
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #88899 is a reply to message #87749] Thu, 27 September 2018 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sawyer25 is currently offline  sawyer25
Master
Soundproofing is the best way out but just out of curiosity, do they live so close by? They are neighbors who will always start trouble irrespective of whether or not there is a genuine reason to do so.
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #89196 is a reply to message #88899] Tue, 13 November 2018 17:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jethro is currently offline  Jethro
Baron
sawyer25 wrote on Thu, 27 September 2018 13:08
Soundproofing is the best way out but just out of curiosity, do they live so close by? They are neighbors who will always start trouble irrespective of whether or not there is a genuine reason to do so.
Based on what ABtoJayZ, the house they are living in is a duplex, meaning it is a house divided in two. Sounds travel faster through solids, so it is no surprise if the neighbors will complain because the barrier won't block the sound.
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #93266 is a reply to message #87749] Mon, 08 March 2021 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
Since it's more high-tech now, there are mobile applications you could install that can measure noise levels. Although I'm not sure about its accuracy because its effectiveness might depend on the environment it is used.
Re: Complaining neighbors [message #96931 is a reply to message #87749] Sun, 20 August 2023 15:11 Go to previous message
Csharp is currently offline  Csharp
Viscount
JohnnyCamp's suggestion was a good one.

Drywall comes in 4' x 8' sheets, though, so you might want to get the home improvement store where you buy them to cut them down to a more workable size.

And don't attach them in a way that makes them hard or impossible to detach.
Previous Topic: PC SCOPE Concept
Next Topic: Best music for testing speakers?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 21:20:12 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio