Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Children's movies with good music (That aren't Disney)
Children's movies with good music [message #87737] Sat, 07 April 2018 12:37 Go to next message
Elerie90 is currently offline  Elerie90
Chancellor
My niece and nephew are coming to stay with me while my sister and her husband go on vacation. Ava is 3 and Oliver is almost 5. What are some good movies that have great songs for kids their ages? They watch Disney all the time, so I'd like to introduce them to something different.
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87741 is a reply to message #87737] Sat, 07 April 2018 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
This is right up my alley. My daughters are still into Frozen, but How to Train Your Dragon held their attention for a long time and it has a snappy soundtrack. You'll find deeply moving songs in The Prince of Egypt if you don't mind a religious storyline. Let me know if I'm not on the right track. It's awesome of you to babysit!
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87751 is a reply to message #87737] Sun, 08 April 2018 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
"The Snowman" from 1982 is magical. It's based on the Raymond Briggs book of the same name from 1978. Briggs actually thought the film was a bit corny - but he's well-known for being a "miserable git", especially about Christmas, his books about a grumpy Father Christmas are a hoot!

Back to "The Snowman" - A young boy builds a snowman on Christmas Eve. They have an adventure together when the snowman comes to life. They go off to the North Pole. Eventually, naturally, the snowman melts and the boy misses him. The book is about death, very gently so, for young children. Neither the book or the film have words and both are suitable for all ages.

As for music in the film - "I'm Walking in the Air" is just beautiful.

NOTE: do not confuse this film with "The Snowman" from 2017 which is about a sociopath (I've not seen it, but I came across it when I was searching for the year of the Raymond Briggs book and tie-in film).
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87805 is a reply to message #87737] Fri, 13 April 2018 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Madison, I don't mind a religious storyline at all. I actually haven't seen Prince of Egypt, so I'm definitely going to add that one to the list! How to Train Your Dragon is great, but it's one of my nephew's favorites already.

Rarerat, aw, I remember The Snowman! I used to love that when I was younger. I'm not sure if they'll be quite as mystified as I was back then, but it's worth a shot! I didn't know all of that about the author. That's funny. I'll make sure to avoid that other film! It would be hard getting those two confused.

Thanks for the suggestions!
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87809 is a reply to message #87805] Fri, 13 April 2018 19:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Have they seen The Wizard of Oz, Annie,or The Greatest Showman? There are several versions of Annie, but I think the 1982 version is the most popular. The Greatest Showman is rated PG, so it might not be appropriate. I watched it about a year ago and don't remember seeing anything bad.
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87811 is a reply to message #87737] Fri, 13 April 2018 19:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
Anastasia is one of my all-time favorites! It should be entertaining enough for kids their ages. Some parts might be a little scary though. The 1973 Charlotte's Web is another golden classic. I can't remember how much singing there is though. An American Tail and Fievel Goes West are brilliant with great songs! I think they're both on Netflix too.
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87826 is a reply to message #87737] Sun, 15 April 2018 20:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ABtoJayZ is currently offline  ABtoJayZ
Chancellor
I don't think you can ever go wrong with a Muppets movie. The new one was really, really good, but the classics are great too.

The Road to El Dorado could work too.
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87843 is a reply to message #87737] Tue, 17 April 2018 13:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
How did I not think of The Wizard of Oz?! Great suggestion, Strum Drum! My sister has some issues with the "messages" in Annie, so I probably won't be showing them that one. I'm not sure what her problem is, just that she has one. I'll have to check out The Greatest Showman. I've never heard of it. Thanks!

I can't remember if there is any singing in Charlotte's Web, but I remember loving that movie when I was younger. I still get that "Somewhere Out There" song from Fievel Goes West stuck in my head on a regular basis! I forgot all about The Muppets too. Thanks!

That movie could work as well! I'll have to add that to my list. Thanks again for all the suggestions, guys!
Re: Children's movies with good music [message #87845 is a reply to message #87737] Tue, 17 April 2018 13:55 Go to previous message
Quest01 is currently offline  Quest01
Chancellor
I remember really liking Ferngully. I can recall a couple of songs, but I don't know if it was a big part of the film. My sister really liked Thumbelina. I think Land Before Time has some songs as well. Those are great movies either way.
Previous Topic: Favorite Premium Channel Shows
Next Topic: Binge-worthy shows
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 06:54:50 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout