Home » Audio » Home Theater » Setting up my first Home Cinema
Setting up my first Home Cinema [message #87689] Thu, 05 April 2018 03:50 Go to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I've not made a final decision on this, but the basement/store room that I have in my new place seems ideal for a home cinema set up.

The room is completely underground and measures 10 feet x 16 feet x 6.5 feet. When insulated and set up acoustically with wedges etc, my builder estimates it will be about 55 square foot in size.

I now have to research the best equipment for this size space. And decide how many seats to have.

Any advice will be welcome. This will be a long-term project.

Re: Setting up my first Home Cinema [message #87710 is a reply to message #87689] Thu, 05 April 2018 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EParkes is currently offline  EParkes
Chancellor
I'm sure you're beyond excited to get your home theater! Do you have any ideas about what kind of equipment you want? I found this guide for small home theaters and found a lot of information in it super helpful. Hopefully you'll find something good in here!

https://www.electronichouse.com/home-theater/planning-for-a-small-home-theater/

Re: Setting up my first Home Cinema [message #87720 is a reply to message #87710] Fri, 06 April 2018 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
That site you gave me the link to is perfect. Especially the explanation of seating distance in relation to screen size. It helps a lot.

It also exposed my poor maths when I said that my room will be 55 square feet .... which is about the size of a king-sized bed! My room will actually be 160 square feet, which are the sort of dimensions that site discusses in its examples.
Re: Setting up my first Home Cinema [message #87781 is a reply to message #87689] Tue, 10 April 2018 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quest01 is currently offline  Quest01
Chancellor
When I read your first post rarerat, I thought to myself: "They are going to have a really tough time setting up a home theater in that amount of space." I wasn't even sure if it was possible. I'm glad that to hear that you're working with nearly 3x that much. What kind of seating are you thinking about doing?
Re: Setting up my first Home Cinema [message #88284 is a reply to message #87781] Sun, 01 July 2018 15:06 Go to previous message
JazzHog is currently offline  JazzHog
Baron
Hi All, I joined this forum mainly to talk about audio, jazz and vinyl, but already I am seeing a new project taking shape! It has been on my mind to organise a home cinema for some time, but that's another idea that gets thrown on the backburner! Ideally, I wouldn't mind having a dedicated audio-visual room, ie: a room where I could have my audio equipment and home cinema too.

Part of the problem is deciding exactly what to buy, and having a larger house might help.
Previous Topic: Television size
Next Topic: 3D TVs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:18:37 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout