Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Projects for Beginners
Projects for Beginners [message #87673] Tue, 03 April 2018 19:42 Go to next message
Jungle is currently offline  Jungle
Chancellor
I have dabbled alongside a friend who knows a thing or two about these kinds of projects. Regrettably, they're moving away soon and I'm going to be on my own. What are some good projects for beginners?
Re: Projects for Beginners [message #87891 is a reply to message #87673] Sat, 28 April 2018 20:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lost the Remote is currently offline  Lost the Remote
Master
It honestly depends on what you want to accomplish or fix or just what interests you. If you aren't sure, starting with a kit is a simple way to get going without spending too much money or time on an investment that you might not enjoy.
Re: Projects for Beginners [message #87993 is a reply to message #87673] Wed, 09 May 2018 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
audiophil2 is currently offline  audiophil2
Chancellor
Kits are a nice way to go because you don't have to start from scratch. With kits, some of the parts are pre-assembled and then you do the rest. From there, once you gain more confidence, you can start your own projects from the ground up.
Re: Projects for Beginners [message #87997 is a reply to message #87673] Wed, 09 May 2018 17:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
I also think kits are a great way to start.

This looks like a nice, relatively inexpensive class A (solid state) amplifier kit, but I am unsure of how good the build guide is-

https://diyaudiostore.com/collections/frontpage/products/amp-camp-amp-kit?variant=7072933085218

Of course, if you want the "bees knees" of kits, I would point you to Bruce's Odd Watt Audio kits.
They use vacuum tubes after all-

http://www.oddwattaudio.com/owproducts.html

I built a couple of his mono blocks, and the directions (build manual) are excellent.

After all, if an old, mason by trade like me can do it, anyone can Laughing
Re: Projects for Beginners [message #88184 is a reply to message #87997] Sat, 16 June 2018 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
Doing kit building is very gratifying in that you put some sweat equity into your listening pleasure. And you get quality audio at a discount. My first foray into kit audio was back in the 80's when the old Hafler line was available for the hands on audio amature. And today the availability of kit building rivals the pioneering days of Heathkits from the 50's and 60's. Look around and tempt yourself with what you can solder up yourself and then listen to, marveling to yourself, I did that!
Another fine tube kit line is Transcendent Sound, Their grounded grid preamp has been around for a couple of decades now and it's proven to be one of the cheap'st ways of getting high end at a beer budget.
https://www.transcendentsound.com/grounded-grid-preamp.html
Re: Projects for Beginners [message #88487 is a reply to message #88184] Mon, 23 July 2018 00:51 Go to previous message
Lindzz is currently offline  Lindzz
Chancellor
Rusty wrote on Sat, 16 June 2018 08:03
Doing kit building is very gratifying in that you put some sweat equity into your listening pleasure. And you get quality audio at a discount. My first foray into kit audio was back in the 80's when the old Hafler line was available for the hands on audio amature. And today the availability of kit building rivals the pioneering days of Heathkits from the 50's and 60's. Look around and tempt yourself with what you can solder up yourself and then listen to, marveling to yourself, I did that!
Another fine tube kit line is Transcendent Sound, Their grounded grid preamp has been around for a couple of decades now and it's proven to be one of the cheap'st ways of getting high end at a beer budget.
https://www.transcendentsound.com/grounded-grid-preamp.html

Thanks for this tip. I never thought about getting a kit. I'm also not very advanced but I'd love to learn more about building and DIY projects. I'm going to check out that website.
Previous Topic: Good books on audio electronics
Next Topic: The Last Thing You Fixed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 15:57:36 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout