Home » Audio » Radio » Talk Radio
Talk Radio [message #87578] Tue, 27 March 2018 13:37 Go to next message
Elerie90 is currently offline  Elerie90
Chancellor
How popular is talk radio with most people these days? The people I know that listen to it listen exclusively to NPR. What about you all? Do you listen to any other talk radio programs?
Re: Talk Radio [message #87586 is a reply to message #87578] Tue, 27 March 2018 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouroboros is currently offline  Ouroboros
Chancellor
I never listen to talk radio. I used to occasionally listen to certain segments (on NPR, of course). Well, I still listen to "A Way with Words" on their podcast. Does that count?
Re: Talk Radio [message #87587 is a reply to message #87586] Wed, 28 March 2018 09:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

I listen to talk radio but never to NPR. There are a lot of other shows that discuss a variety of things like DIY home repair, gardening, finances, politics, religion and even the paranormal.

Re: Talk Radio [message #87668 is a reply to message #87578] Tue, 03 April 2018 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quest01 is currently offline  Quest01
Chancellor
I'm with Wayne. I listen to talk radio, but never NPR. I listen to it most days when I'm commuting to work. Unfortunately, we don't have a lot of local stations with great talk shows. I've always told myself that it'd be cool to start one myself, but I doubt it will ever happen.
Re: Talk Radio [message #87692 is a reply to message #87668] Thu, 05 April 2018 12:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
I enjoy listening to NPR, but I mostly tune into my local station for quick news updates and plain old gossip. It's become more useful than the local news station and newspaper. Do you all have something like that?
Re: Talk Radio [message #87696 is a reply to message #87578] Thu, 05 April 2018 14:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
I haven't really come across any local stations like that in my area, Strum Drum. I could also be scanning through stations at the wrong time. I should probably look into that. As far as talk radio goes, I listen to the morning shows on regular music stations during my commute to work. I don't know if they count. They're hardly high-brow.
Re: Talk Radio [message #87702 is a reply to message #87586] Thu, 05 April 2018 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I never listen to it. It is nearly always biased toward one point or another. I much prefer factual information from which I will draw my own conclusions. This relates to the current issue with Sinclair stations. I am appalled by the concept of them using their network to force announcers to push what IMO amounts to the very thing they claim that other stations are doing. Bashing others for their content while ignoring the fact that they are doing exactly the same thing. I can't say if the other stations are factual or not, but having one network insisting that all others aren't is clearly in error. Cut out the name calling and let folks decide for themselves what is real and not. They may make good or bad choices ...but it is their call. I am fearful of the direction this seems to be taking...it reminds me of some historical events that I don't think we need to repeat. Sorry for the diatribe...this topic gets to me.

Smack me Wayne if need be as it is hard to have the moderator intercede in this case.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Talk Radio [message #87711 is a reply to message #87702] Thu, 05 April 2018 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
gofar99 wrote on Thu, 05 April 2018 16:58
I never listen to it. It is nearly always biased toward one point or another. I much prefer factual information from which I will draw my own conclusions. This relates to the current issue with Sinclair stations. I am appalled by the concept of them using their network to force announcers to push what IMO amounts to the very thing they claim that other stations are doing. Bashing others for their content while ignoring the fact that they are doing exactly the same thing. I can't say if the other stations are factual or not, but having one network insisting that all others aren't is clearly in error. Cut out the name calling and let folks decide for themselves what is real and not. They may make good or bad choices ...but it is their call. I am fearful of the direction this seems to be taking...it reminds me of some historical events that I don't think we need to repeat. Sorry for the diatribe...this topic gets to me.

Smack me Wayne if need be as it is hard to have the moderator intercede in this case.

I'm appalled by everything that's going on with Sinclair right now. For one, if you're a news source and you claim that you're unbiased by attacking other news sources, that doesn't scream "We have no agenda!" to me. Secondly, is there even such a thing as an unbiased news source? What company doesn't find out who their audience is and start creating more products that appeal to them? It's sad that we can't just read/hear the news anymore. Everything's an editorial now. Don't tell me what to think. Tell me what's going on and let me think for myself.

As for the original question, no, I don't really listen to talk radio unless absolutely nothing else is on.
Re: Talk Radio [message #87715 is a reply to message #87578] Fri, 06 April 2018 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jungle is currently offline  Jungle
Chancellor
I didn't even know there was anything going on with Sinclair stations until I read this. I guess I'm pretty out of the loop. That all sounds really cruddy. I hate it when people claim to be the only truth-tellers. Rarely, if ever, is that the case. Has there ever been such a thing as unbiased news?
Re: Talk Radio [message #87729 is a reply to message #87578] Fri, 06 April 2018 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
EParkes is currently offline  EParkes
Chancellor
I listen to talk radio every now and again. Sometimes I listen to NPR, sometimes I listen to other stations. It just depends on my mood and the time of day.

The Sinclair shenanigans are cringe-worthy, but unsurprising in this "fake news" world. All these stations/networks are all basically a bunch of Holden Caulfields running around calling everyone else a "phony" while they unwittingly play the role of the hypocrite.
Previous Topic: Sirius Radio Stations
Next Topic: Need to invest in new radio - which make?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 12:56:31 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio