Home » Audio » Room Acoustics » Apartment with loft
Apartment with loft [message #87544] Sun, 25 March 2018 17:03 Go to next message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
I'm looking at this new apartment, and there are a couple of things that are jumping out at me as potentially problematic. First, the ground level flooring is concrete. Secondly, there's a loft in the living room. It's cool looking, but I'm wondering what I would need to do to make sure the acoustics don't suck in there (because the loft would have to be my "office" or whatever). What do you all think?
Re: Apartment with loft [message #87869 is a reply to message #87544] Tue, 24 April 2018 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
There are ways to cope with the flattening effects of concrete such as fixing sound insulation panels on the concrete area. As for the loft space, I couldn't say. It might even help the living room depending on the material of the ceiling in the loft.
Re: Apartment with loft [message #87916 is a reply to message #87544] Tue, 01 May 2018 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Are you renting or buying the place? The issue with fixing problems in a rented space is that you'll likely need to drill into the walls. I'd worry about losing my deposit due to the 'improvements'. I don't think I'd be willing to invest money in fixing the acoustics in a space I didn't own either.
Re: Apartment with loft [message #87919 is a reply to message #87544] Tue, 01 May 2018 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnnycamp5 is currently offline  johnnycamp5
Grand Master
If I was going to be there for a while (more than 6 months?), I would fix it. Even if that meant reversing the changes before moving out.
But I am a diy guy, and also a "room acoustics snob" lol. I enjoy making acoustic room treatments (and speakers), and I love to listen to lots of music..... sometimes loud lol.

I would think if there is an open loft above the living room this could help the acoustics, especially if you put some cushy furniture and carpeting up there.

I would think an open loft connected to a living room (or listening room) is better than not, since your likely doubling the listening room size (larger rooms almost always sound better).
Re: Apartment with loft [message #88128 is a reply to message #87916] Wed, 06 June 2018 20:44 Go to previous message
Channon is currently offline  Channon
Chancellor
Strum Drum wrote on Tue, 01 May 2018 12:36
Are you renting or buying the place? The issue with fixing problems in a rented space is that you'll likely need to drill into the walls. I'd worry about losing my deposit due to the 'improvements'. I don't think I'd be willing to invest money in fixing the acoustics in a space I didn't own either.

That's true. They're things you could likely fix yourself though if you're a DIY kind of person. Although, if it requires big changes, I'd probably ask beforehand, just to be on the safe side.

Like Johnny said, if you're going to be there for a while, it'd probably be worth it. I realize this is from a couple of months ago so you've probably made a decision one way or the other. Did you end up getting the apartment?
Previous Topic: Diffusion or absorption?
Next Topic: Sound diffuser blueprints
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:25:26 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout