Home » Audio » Movies & Music » What artist got you into music?
What artist got you into music? [message #87501] Thu, 22 March 2018 13:26 Go to next message
Ouroboros is currently offline  Ouroboros
Chancellor
For me, it was the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I liked anything my older brother liked by default, but they were the first band I listened to that I knew I enjoyed without having to look at him to make sure I did...if that makes any sense. I still rock out to them all the time. What about you all?
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87502 is a reply to message #87501] Thu, 22 March 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shadowplay is currently offline  shadowplay
Chancellor
I get the older brother thing. I was the same way with a lot of stuff, but not really music. Perhaps our gender differences had something to do with that. We liked completely different things. Either way, it didn't take long or much to get me into music. I started with all of the old Disney songs, and it's been an ongoing love affair with music ever since!
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87519 is a reply to message #87501] Fri, 23 March 2018 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wren is currently offline  Wren
Chancellor
You know, I wish I could remember. But I don't know if it was any artist in particular. My parents just always had music on and, well, I just never knew a life without it!
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87536 is a reply to message #87501] Sun, 25 March 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Shadowplay, I'm glad that someone else knows what it's like to have an older brother who dictates a lot of your tastes. It's hard for me to discern what I really like and what I was basically conditioned to like, sometimes. My sister is the same way with Disney songs. They never really did it for me, personally. I always fast-forwarded through those parts.

Wren, you're lucky. My parents aren't really musically-inclined. My mom pretty much listened to Dan Fogelberg exclusively.
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87606 is a reply to message #87536] Wed, 28 March 2018 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lush is currently offline  lush
Chancellor
Ouroboros wrote on Sun, 25 March 2018 13:55

Wren, you're lucky. My parents aren't really musically-inclined. My mom pretty much listened to Dan Fogelberg exclusively.

My mom is musically-inclined but she's got an obsession with The Beach Boys. They are the only band I can recall her listening to on a regular basis. They're the first band I can recall singing and dancing along to, so I guess I'll have to say they (and my mom) were the ones who lit my music-loving fire.
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87660 is a reply to message #87501] Tue, 03 April 2018 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TheRepublic is currently offline  TheRepublic
Esquire
There's no particular artist that got me into music. My grandfather gets all the credit. He just loved music so freaking much and it was contagious. He also bought us instruments and paid for us to get lessons. He was super into classical music (and polka) and that definitely rubbed off on me (except for the polka).
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87662 is a reply to message #87501] Tue, 03 April 2018 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
She wasn't an artist as such - it was my mum who got me into music. She was always singing and had a good voice. She sang anything, Elvis, The Beatles, Ray Charles, The Moody Blues, Ella Fitzgerald and also local folk songs and some classical.

If she wasn't singing by herself she had the radio on an would sing along. sometimes she'd make a note of a song she particularly liked and then would buy the record. It was a treat to go to the music shop with her and flick through the amazing LP sleeves.

Sam
Re: What artist got you into music? [message #87706 is a reply to message #87501] Thu, 05 April 2018 19:41 Go to previous message
Chancellor
It sounds like a lot of you got your love for music from your mothers. That's awesome. I wonder why fathers aren't spreading the music love a little bit more though. It makes me wish my parents had exposed me to music. I didn't get it from my mom (other than a grudge against Dan Folgeberg because she played it so incessantly). I definitely didn't get it from my dad who can't even hum "Row, Row, Row Your Boat."
Previous Topic: Your favorite music streaming service?
Next Topic: A Battle of the 90's Cult Classics
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 09:31:40 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout