Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Are you a self-taught craftsman?
Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87485] Tue, 20 March 2018 20:41 Go to next message
Wren is currently offline  Wren
Chancellor
I would really like to try and get into doing some audio DIY projects. I'm wondering if I need to take some kind of class before diving right in. Is this something you can teach yourself, learn via YouTube, etc.? Or is it better to have someone help you during your first project(s)?

Speaking of first projects, what was yours?
Re: Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87496 is a reply to message #87485] Wed, 21 March 2018 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Self taught....mostly by trial and error. The first project was a one transistor amp. It went up in smoke. How was I supposed to know which lead went where? Since then there have been many projects up to and including building an addition on the house for a listening room. All sorts of electronics as well. I would suggest that the best way to learn is from/with someone who knows what they are doing. Study a bit, try something with that person's guidance. It will be a lot easier to ask specific questions than to read an entire reference and not understand what it really means.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87498 is a reply to message #87485] Thu, 22 March 2018 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ouroboros is currently offline  Ouroboros
Chancellor
I completely agree with the above. I'm just starting this myself. First, I tried buying a reference book and could barely understand it. I don't have a firm enough grasp of the basics. My friend's dad has a lot of experience and has agreed to help me out. Being able to ask him specific questions has been helping a lot.
Re: Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87518 is a reply to message #87485] Fri, 23 March 2018 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
Thanks for the responses. I can definitely see myself doing something like that, Bruce. I wish I had someone I knew that knew a lick about any of this. Although I haven't checked with my friends to see if they know anyone, so I guess that should be my next move. I can definitely see the benefits of being able to learn one-on-one with someone. Has anyone here ever taken a class?
Re: Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87541 is a reply to message #87485] Sun, 25 March 2018 16:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
I would definitely check out with your friends and see if they know anyone. I bet that there's someone in your network that knows a thing or two. I think that learning from a mentor or whatever would be the best way to do it. That's what I'm trying to do with my dad. I think he knows a little less than he pretends though, haha. So I'm looking out for some other options. What kind of classes are offered near you?
Re: Are you a self-taught craftsman? [message #87546 is a reply to message #87485] Sun, 25 March 2018 19:19 Go to previous message
Chancellor
Yeah, Khanman, you're right! There is someone in my network who is familiar with all of this. It turns out that one of my friends knows a guy who knows a guy...and that guy is willing to help me out. There are a couple different classes. I've only looked into Audio Production Technologies. They have an Audio Club as well. I think I may try and get in contact with them.
Previous Topic: Expenses and other factors
Next Topic: DIY/Hacks That Failed
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:44:20 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout