Home » xyzzy » Tower » How closely do you follow politics?
How closely do you follow politics? [message #87404] Thu, 08 March 2018 15:14 Go to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Sometimes, I just get nauseous when I'm on social media or news sites because I feel like politics are just getting way too divisive and toxic. I feel bad about avoiding it though. I feel like I'm not supposed to do that as an adult. I also feel like if I'm upset about it, then maybe there's something I should be doing to try and change that. Sadly though, it seems like most people enjoy the caustic dialogues between the two sides. I used to love that kind of sparring . . . then I got too tired to be that angry all the time.

Do you follow politics or do you avoid try and avoid it?
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87410 is a reply to message #87404] Thu, 08 March 2018 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
How closely do you follow politics?

I sure don't tailgate, that's for sure.

The only times I really pay attention to political issues is when they are framed into another issue that is trying to find a way around a political solution. Which is the contadiction of terms to end all contradictions of terms.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87417 is a reply to message #87410] Fri, 09 March 2018 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
I follow it, but to call it politics is a mis-nomer... more likley a free for all type of combat. Confused

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87418 is a reply to message #87417] Fri, 09 March 2018 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Spidey is currently offline  Spidey
Chancellor
gofar99 wrote on Fri, 09 March 2018 08:08
I follow it, but to call it politics is a mis-nomer... more likley a free for all type of combat. Confused

This is so sad, but so true. It's a lot of finger-pointing, name-calling, and it's just, well, explosive. I follow it somewhat. I've had to stop reading comments on articles because that section is usually a trainwreck.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87557 is a reply to message #87404] Mon, 26 March 2018 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
J.Jacobs is currently offline  J.Jacobs
Chancellor
It's sad, man. I used to really enjoy following politics. Back in the day, I could get in a political discussion and it was amazing. Now I can only ever find arguments. I still follow politics, but I don't really talk about them anymore. It's not like anyone listens to anyone else anyway.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87675 is a reply to message #87404] Tue, 03 April 2018 22:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wren is currently offline  Wren
Chancellor
I follow politics pretty closely. It used to be a lot more enjoyable though, for all the reasons mentioned above. One thing that has helped me deal with the arguments and hate surrounding political discussions is to never read the comments section on articles. They're out of control.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87923 is a reply to message #87404] Thu, 03 May 2018 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SamW is currently offline  SamW
Baron
I follow politics less and less. I get the feeling that reporting, whether it be on TV, radio or in the press is much less impartial these days than it used to be. It makes it hard to get simple, unbiased information on almost anything. The nature of reporting, of being a reporter, seems to have changed and I think it has to do with social media. All these reporters now have Twitter and Facebook accounts and glorify in having as many followers as possible. It's bound to have changed the way they report stuff.

Sam
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #87932 is a reply to message #87404] Fri, 04 May 2018 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rarerat is currently offline  rarerat
Baron
I seem to have imposed a boycott on following politics. I used to be quite active and always enjoyed reading the political commentary. But these days I glance at the headlines and not much more. I think the political atmosphere, both nationally and worldwide, is just so self-serving and unpleasant these days that there's nothing in it for John or Jane Doe. Political apathy is a dangerous thing - I need to snap out of it!
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88190 is a reply to message #87404] Sat, 16 June 2018 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rusty is currently offline  Rusty
Illuminati (2nd Degree)
I follow economics, which is what quite a goodly amount of political policies are based on. Unfortunately, like politics, prevailing economics are based on the notion of whats good for the few will somehow, someway, someday make it's way down to the masses for their collective good. There is no discussion for alternative economic thinking. Only dogmatic adherence to the status quo.
Re: How closely do you follow politics? [message #88265 is a reply to message #87404] Fri, 29 June 2018 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Azuri is currently offline  Azuri
Grand Master
If you want to find a solution to a problem, politics is not the way to go. When was the last time Washington D.C. solved a problem that the common man felt in a good way?

I don't follow politics at all.
Previous Topic: Phone can't connect to a MiFi device
Next Topic: The 5G technology
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 03:24:05 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers