Home » Audio » Radio » Spotting antiques
icon5.gif  Spotting antiques [message #87342] Sat, 03 March 2018 03:20 Go to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I've been looking around flea markets and antique stores, but it's hard to tell a genuine antique from something that's just old and used. I have a list of brand names that have made antiques, but not much else to go on. Any tips?
Re: Spotting antiques [message #87352 is a reply to message #87342] Sat, 03 March 2018 20:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Finding antiques can be tricky! I don't know too much about antique radios, but eBay has an article about finding them here. Your best chance may be to look up each brand name and look up their identifying features. For instance, I found this article about identifying Silvertone radios.
Re: Spotting antiques [message #87365 is a reply to message #87342] Sun, 04 March 2018 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnson93 is currently offline  johnson93
Chancellor
Sometimes the problem with antiques - and flea market shopping in general - is that what one person considers an antique, another might just consider it old and used. Are you looking for radios from a specific era? In your opinion, what makes a radio an antique?
Re: Spotting antiques [message #87397 is a reply to message #87365] Thu, 08 March 2018 10:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Grand Master
johnson93 wrote on Sun, 04 March 2018 20:22
Are you looking for radios from a specific era? In your opinion, what makes a radio an antique?

I like the plain metal radios like those made by Atwater Kent. I'm also interested in the fancier, Deco styles like those made by Garod. I haven't come across either of these styles or manufacturers in the wild though. Have you? I'd rather buy in person than online.
Re: Spotting antiques [message #87398 is a reply to message #87352] Thu, 08 March 2018 10:15 Go to previous message
Grand Master
EasyE wrote on Sat, 03 March 2018 20:18
Your best chance may be to look up each brand name and look up their identifying features. For instance, I found this article about identifying Silvertone radios.

Part of the problem is that I can't always see the model number
or manufacturer. Supposedly, that information might be stamped on the tubes, but that requires opening it up and I'm afraid if I ask to do it, I'll something up and be stuck with it.

Thanks for sharing those links. Maybe I should change up my strategy and focus on one or two specific types rather than "all antiques" which is overwhelming.
Previous Topic: Having two car radios
Next Topic: C B Radios
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 11:10:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout