Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Buying used piano online
Buying used piano online [message #87321] Thu, 01 March 2018 19:36 Go to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
I've been wanting to get a grand piano forever. The price tag has kept me from making that dream come true. I recently found one on eBay for a really great price. However, I'm a little nervous about buying a used instrument without being able to test it out first, especially when there's not free return shipping. Granted, the shipping costs are a lot less than I thought they would be, but it still would be a big hassle. Would you go for it?
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87328 is a reply to message #87321] Fri, 02 March 2018 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snickers is currently offline  Snickers
Chancellor
I would check out their reviews. If they've sold pianos before and people say that they've all appeared as the seller advertised, then I'd probably go for it.
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87334 is a reply to message #87321] Fri, 02 March 2018 13:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SpeakUp is currently offline  SpeakUp
Chancellor
I don't even want to think about what the shipping prices for something like that might be. I don't know if I'd do it for that reason alone. I also like to test things out before making a big purchase, no matter what it is. For the right price and the right seller (one with good reviews), I might do it, but probably not. Have you ever thought about checking out estate sales in your area?
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87346 is a reply to message #87334] Sat, 03 March 2018 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
Shipping must be expensive and the seller could send a perfectly good piano that might get damaged during shipping or the piano might not be what you want. If you wish to send it back, will you have to pay the return shipping fees? Do you think you could resell it locally? Ebay has been notorious for siding with the buyer these past few years. If the seller has a good reputation and there's a way to protect yourself from too much financial risk then it might be worth it.

Re: Buying used piano online [message #87351 is a reply to message #87346] Sat, 03 March 2018 20:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EasyE is currently offline  EasyE
Chancellor
Leot55 wrote on Sat, 03 March 2018 12:32
Shipping must be expensive and the seller could send a perfectly good piano that might get damaged during shipping or the piano might not be what you want. If you wish to send it back, will you have to pay the return shipping fees? Do you think you could resell it locally? Ebay has been notorious for siding with the buyer these past few years. If the seller has a good reputation and there's a way to protect yourself from too much financial risk then it might be worth it.

As I read through this thread I was thinking that I'd do it if the reviews were good enough. But you make a really good point about the potential for shipping damages. That's making me think that I probably wouldn't' do it, especially if eBay has been siding with the sellers.
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87358 is a reply to message #87351] Sun, 04 March 2018 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
I've bought used instruments on eBay and have been happy with them, but those were small, uncomplicated instruments like a flute and guitar which are easy to fix not as big of an investment. You can ask the seller to post a video of them playing the piano so you'll know how it sounds. It will likely need tuned when it arrives though. I might buy the piano, but only after exhausting my search locally first.

Try looking on Craigslist and in your area's Buy, Sale, and Trade Facebook groups. Add your request if you can't find what you need. Also check out pawn shops and get the word out that you're looking for a piano. Check your town's newspaper want ads too to see if a church or family is selling their old one.
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87517 is a reply to message #87321] Fri, 23 March 2018 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wren is currently offline  Wren
Chancellor
As long as you take the right precautions, I think it should be alright. I'm sure that the owner will be getting insurance on their shipment. I think I would go for it if everything was matching up and the seller had positive reviews.
Re: Buying used piano online [message #87610 is a reply to message #87321] Thu, 29 March 2018 09:35 Go to previous message
Quest01 is currently offline  Quest01
Chancellor
I have a hard time making big purchases online. I can really only justify it when it's not possible for me to see the product I know I want in person. Is a used piano in your budget really hard to come by in your area?
Previous Topic: Where can I find affordable music books
Next Topic: Microphone for Podcasting
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:37:21 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout