Home » Audio » Movies & Music » Which bands/artists sing live during concert?
Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87262] Thu, 22 February 2018 08:26 Go to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
I've noticed an unfortunate trend in lip syncing during "live" performances. Which bands and single artists are known for using their own vocals during their shows? One that comes to mind is Linkin Park. If Chester Bennington forgot the words to a song or there was a microphone malfunction you knew it because he was actually singing. His voice sounded the same live as it did on studio recordings too.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87267 is a reply to message #87262] Fri, 23 February 2018 18:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Adele is a popular artist that doesn't lip-sync. I believe Madonna usually sang live. One exception was the VMA awards when she sang with Britney Spears and Christina Aguilera.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87275 is a reply to message #87262] Sun, 25 February 2018 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
monster is currently offline  monster
Chancellor
I didn't know that about Chester Bennington. He gets some points for that. I don't think that Miley Cyrus lip syncs, but I could be wrong about that. It's sad that it's really hard to think of people.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87277 is a reply to message #87262] Mon, 26 February 2018 00:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
There's a lot of lip-syncing these days. To be fair, there's also a lot of dancing and running around during a concert and it can be difficult to sing when you're doing all of that. Artists are required to do a lot when they're onstage. As long as the voice they're lip-syncing to is theirs, I don't find it offensive or wrong.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87335 is a reply to message #87277] Fri, 02 March 2018 13:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leot55 is currently offline  Leot55
Master
You know I thought the same thing originally, but then I remembered that Chester Bennington happily flopped...danced... uh, did something active on stage and still managed to sing live.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkkAiL4PzoY

I just fell down the rabbit hole of watching old Linkin Park concerts with his uh, dance moves.

Madonna danced while singing live too. Did Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, and Janet Jackson? I always thought they did, but I could be wrong.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87336 is a reply to message #87335] Fri, 02 March 2018 19:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Madison is currently offline  Madison
Grand Master
Leot55 wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 13:19

Did Paula Abdul, Michael Jackson, Mariah Carey, and Janet Jackson? I always thought they did, but I could be wrong.

I think most artists rely on back up vocals, tracks, and plain lip-syncing sometimes. Maybe it just depends on the event. Mariah Carey's New Year's Eve performance was terribly faked. I felt sorry for her it was so bad. Parts of Michael Jackson's Mowtown performance seemed off. Both artists are gifted singers though.

Christina Aguilera usually performs live. At least she did when she was younger. I attended one of her shows and you could hear her pant when she was out of breath. She still sounded amazing!
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87340 is a reply to message #87262] Fri, 02 March 2018 23:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
The Rolling Stones have been singing live for over 50 years now. The fact that some singers do it all just shows how lazy people can be.

Then again, I heard that bands like The Monkees used to do it back in the 60's.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87409 is a reply to message #87340] Thu, 08 March 2018 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
johnson93 is currently offline  johnson93
Chancellor
Kingfish wrote on Fri, 02 March 2018 23:58
The Rolling Stones have been singing live for over 50 years now. The fact that some singers do it all just shows how lazy people can be.

Then again, I heard that bands like The Monkees used to do it back in the 60's.

I feel like real rock bands are going to be the most likely to actually sing live during their concerts. I didn't know that about The Monkees, but I also don't know if that surprises me or not.

I would guess that the people who have had to quit and/or postpone tours due to vocal chord injuries are probably the real deal.

Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87432 is a reply to message #87409] Sat, 10 March 2018 11:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
You could safely say that The Monkees were the first boy band. A producer got everyone together, basically.

You're right about the vocal chord issues. That makes sense.
Re: Which bands/artists sing live during concert? [message #87654 is a reply to message #87262] Mon, 02 April 2018 21:26 Go to previous message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
It's a little sad that it's so much easier to come up with bands/artists that don't sing live in concert than it is to come up with ones that absolutely do. That being said, I saw Third Eye Blind in concert last year (or maybe the year before) and it definitely seemed like they were singing live to me.
Previous Topic: Best movie review site
Next Topic: Ready Player One
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 03:22:06 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout