Home » Audio » Source » Rubbing alcohol and records
Rubbing alcohol and records [message #87256] Wed, 21 February 2018 13:49 Go to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
I've read that the best way to cheaply clean records is to use a 1:3 mixture of rubbing alcohol and water. For some reason, I feel like this would damage your records. Have you or would you ever use rubbing alcohol for this purpose?
Re: Rubbing alcohol and records [message #87257 is a reply to message #87256] Wed, 21 February 2018 20:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There are several formulas that use alcohol. I use 1 part alcohol to 10 parts water (distilled). I add a few drops of unscented dish washing soap and a few drops of wetting agent for dish washers. This mix goes into my ultra sonic cleaner. They need to be rinsed after the time in the cleaner (it rotates them for 5 minutes). The mix is not harmful to LPs. Vinyl is rather immune to most common chemicals. It can be harmed by many solvents though. Stuff like acetone, strong acids etc. There is a lengthy thread on the vinylengine.com forums on this subject. It is under the section for records and care at the top of the opening page. To view any photos though you will have to register...it is free and it is a friendly and helpful forum. A must IMO for anyone into records.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Rubbing alcohol and records [message #87280 is a reply to message #87256] Mon, 26 February 2018 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
1 part alcohol to 10 parts water makes a lot more sense to me than 1 to 3. Even though I know that vinyl can handle a lot, I always seem to underestimate it. What kind of ultrasonic cleaner do you have? Thank you very much for all of the information. That forum looks great too.
Re: Rubbing alcohol and records [message #87312 is a reply to message #87280] Thu, 01 March 2018 09:10 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, Mine was a diy one. Pretty simple....a commercial tank that is heated. I got my off the web for just over $100. That and a BBQ battery operated motor and a little work making a few brackets for the motor and zoom. I am traveling right now and don't have access to the photos of it. There are similar builds on the vinylengine.com site though. You will need to register to see the photos. It is a friendly site.

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Vinyl question
Next Topic: Questions about vinyl
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:16:39 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers