Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Building Speaker Cabinet
Building Speaker Cabinet [message #87231] Thu, 15 February 2018 18:44 Go to next message
Reinhardt is currently offline  Reinhardt
Chancellor
I want to try my hand at building a speaker cabinet. I would really like to use real wood, but I've heard that this might not be the best option, especially if I'm going to glue them. Is that true? What do you think is the best material for this project?
Re: Building Speaker Cabinet [message #87236 is a reply to message #87231] Fri, 16 February 2018 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Use MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. You can veneer the cabinet with any sort of real wood you prefer. But you want a composite wood product like MDF or plywood because solid woods have natural resonances that you want to avoid. Also, when using plywood, make sure to use only Baltic Birch because it is void-free. Cheaper plywoods have voids, and the debris in the void will buzz when the speaker is used.

Re: Building Speaker Cabinet [message #87242 is a reply to message #87236] Sat, 17 February 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leonardo is currently offline  Leonardo
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 16 February 2018 08:43

Use MDF or Baltic Birch plywood. You can veneer the cabinet with any sort of real wood you prefer. But you want a composite wood product like MDF or plywood because solid woods have natural resonances that you want to avoid. Also, when using plywood, make sure to use only Baltic Birch because it is void-free. Cheaper plywoods have voids, and the debris in the void will buzz when the speaker is used.

Sorry to butt in on your question, Reinhardt, but I'm curious about something. Would OSB be an okay alternative? I have so much of it around my house and I'd love to use it for something. I would want to sand it down some though, for aesthetic purposes, so I don't know if it would still be thick enough to use for this purpose. Is that something I need to keep in mind?
Re: Building Speaker Cabinet [message #87291 is a reply to message #87231] Tue, 27 February 2018 13:33 Go to previous message
SpeakUp is currently offline  SpeakUp
Chancellor
I could be wrong, Leonardo, but I think that OSB would work as an alternative. I've never known anyone who has used it for this because most people don't really find it terribly attractive. But I think it should do a good job for this project, even with some sanding down.
Previous Topic: Rounding Off The Corners
Next Topic: Using kits
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 11:45:35 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout