Home » Audio » Home Theater » Decor and home theater
Decor and home theater [message #87084] Fri, 19 January 2018 10:30 Go to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I just wanted to find out if anyone here considers their home decor in relation to what home theater system they buy or if the system is the first consideration whether it fits in with the decor or not? Is that even a big issue?
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87091 is a reply to message #87084] Fri, 19 January 2018 15:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

For me, the system is always the first consideration in any room I'm serious about.

I have two rooms like this, an upstairs system made mostly for stereo but also can be used for home theater, and a downstairs system that is setup for home theater. In both cases, I put the speakers and screen where they worked best for the room and then placed everything else in the room.

The home makers in the area I live in do not generally have acoustics or home theater in mind. They do things like putting televisions above fireplace mantles on short diagonal walls. It's really cool looking but totally, absolutely doesn't work for any kind of illusion of reality. The screen is too high and the speakers cannot be placed right.

So it's good to be able to modify the builder's plans before home construction. Otherwise, a lot of reorganization and sometimes ugly compromise is required.

Re: Decor and home theater [message #87105 is a reply to message #87084] Sun, 21 January 2018 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kitt is currently offline  Kitt
Baron
I agree that a lot of thought should go into how you set up your audio, but as far as decor goes, I don't know if the choice of your home theater system would really affect your other decor so much. Maybe it's just me...
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87148 is a reply to message #87084] Sun, 28 January 2018 20:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
Pique, I don't think this is a big issue, not for me at least. However, I think this is something that each person might have their own opinoin about! If you've worked hard on a your decor and you've got a thing going, trying to find something that fits your decor may help narrow down your choices. However, if you don't find a good option that fits, I might readjust your priorities.
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87153 is a reply to message #87084] Mon, 29 January 2018 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lohan is currently offline  Lohan
Chancellor
I think it all depends. A lot of people buy stuff because they genuinely love how it looks or performs. I think it's rare to find someone who will not buy a great performing system just because it doesn't go with their overall decor.
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87206 is a reply to message #87084] Wed, 07 February 2018 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
A lot of the audio loving people that I know would tell you that the sound quality comes first. How the system or the room looks is a secondary consideration for most.
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87226 is a reply to message #87084] Tue, 13 February 2018 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Snickers is currently offline  Snickers
Chancellor
Everyone has their own agendas. I know that I would rather sacrifice my decor than a great home theater system. So, no, I wouldn't consider this a big issue. However, those people who put form over function would probably say otherwise.
Re: Decor and home theater [message #87250 is a reply to message #87091] Tue, 20 February 2018 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 19 January 2018 15:52

For me, the system is always the first consideration in any room I'm serious about.

Wayne is hardcore. Laughing

He brings up a good point though. The way houses are built, you kind of have to take that attitude if you want great sounds in your house. What we need are home builders that are also serious audiophiles.

But I am a substance over style kind of guy as well.

Re: Decor and home theater [message #87293 is a reply to message #87091] Tue, 27 February 2018 21:46 Go to previous message
Spidey is currently offline  Spidey
Chancellor
Wayne Parham wrote on Fri, 19 January 2018 15:52

The home makers in the area I live in do not generally have acoustics or home theater in mind. They do things like putting televisions above fireplace mantles on short diagonal walls. It's really cool looking but totally, absolutely doesn't work for any kind of illusion of reality. The screen is too high and the speakers cannot be placed right.

I see things like this done so often! I'll give them credit, it's super cool looking and aesthetically pleasing. We are renting our home and the only place to put our TV was above the fireplace. It definitely doesn't make for comfortable viewing. I can't wait for the day I can build a house, or at least own one that I can remodel.
Previous Topic: Acoustic treatments
Next Topic: Mix And Match
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 04:45:58 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout