Home » Audio » Source » anti-skating problem
anti-skating problem [message #12321] Sun, 10 July 2005 07:13 Go to next message
matthew Willey is currently offline  matthew Willey
Esquire
I have set upmy tone arm and it is balanced perfectly. The problem comes when I set up the anti-skating weight. I have positioned it as described in the manual but it just pulls the arm off the record. Can anyone help??

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12322 is a reply to message #12321] Sun, 10 July 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Try placing a buffalo nickle on the tonearm and taping it to the headshell. That should work.

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12323 is a reply to message #12322] Sun, 10 July 2005 17:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12324 is a reply to message #12321] Sun, 10 July 2005 17:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wayne Parham is currently offline  Wayne Parham
Illuminati (33rd Degree)

Try increasing or decreasing anti-skating force until the needle doesn't skate. Might increase set-down force too.

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12325 is a reply to message #12321] Mon, 11 July 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mr Vinyl is currently offline  Mr Vinyl
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

Sounds to me like the VTF is not set correctly (that is too light). Purchase a VTF gauge and make sure your setting is correct. Shure makes a cheap one that can be had over the internet from places like Music Direct. If you VTF is correct and this still happens it must be the anti-skate setting is way too high. I would start with my first suggestion.

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12326 is a reply to message #12325] Mon, 11 July 2005 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
What is VTF? I have moved the counter weight so that there is more down force and now it plays fine. Do u think this is ok?

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12327 is a reply to message #12326] Mon, 11 July 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
VTF stands for Vertical Tracking Force. It's the amount of weight that the cartridge sits on the record. It's important to get this correct because if it is not correct you can ruin your records, your needle or both. See the link below for a Shure Gauge. Each cartridge has a specific range that it must be set too. Order the Shure gauge, find out what the tracking force is for your cartridge and use the gauge to make sure it is correct. I wouldn't play any records until you set this correctly.

Hope this helps.
Mr Vinyl

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12328 is a reply to message #12325] Mon, 11 July 2005 22:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dominic is currently offline  Dominic
Chancellor
This entire anti-skating thing was caused because years ago the turntable manufactures decided to design their units to accommodate other hi-fi stuff and not consider basic physics.

See: http://dvautier.home.comcast.net/lp/lp.htm

Skating is often the result of record quality. I have some records that track fine whatever "anti-skating” force is applied. Other records are really bad especially toward the center where the skating force is greatest. I do notice that the outer record grove will sometimes suffer some fuzziness and "chatter" if anti-skating is not applied. I usually track at ¾ gram and I don’t get much skating. If you read the link above it explains this better.

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12329 is a reply to message #12327] Tue, 12 July 2005 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Esquire
Thanks for your help! I have managed to set it up now. THe downforce is set for the recommended value for the cartridge and there is no skating. How acurate are the dials on the counterweight? would u still recommend using the shure gauge?

Re: anti-skating problem [message #12330 is a reply to message #12329] Tue, 12 July 2005 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Hi,

The dials on the counter weight are a good place to start. Probably be close enough that record damage would not happen. However for $25 dollars it's worth it to get the Shure gauge and make sure it's correct in my opinion. Personally I use a digital scale to check my VTF.

Good listening.
Mr Vinyl

Previous Topic: as the record plays my strobe doesnt show a steady mark
Next Topic: Best Vintage Table
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 18:42:47 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers