Home » Audio » Craftsmen » Expenses and other factors
Expenses and other factors [message #86859] Sat, 23 December 2017 12:55 Go to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
How much more expensive would you say it would be to create a DIY project vs. buying a premade one? Would you consider the expense - both time and money - to be the biggest downfall? Is the best part of it the satisfaction of having built something on your own? Or do you like that you have more customization options or something else?
Re: Expenses and other factors [message #86865 is a reply to message #86859] Sat, 23 December 2017 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, IMO it could go either way. Individual components will cost more than the commercial guys pay for them, but then they also have to make a profit at every level from builder to sales staff.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Expenses and other factors [message #87439 is a reply to message #86859] Sun, 11 March 2018 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silver is currently offline  Silver
Viscount
The personal satisfaction is the big one for me. Cost and time run a distant 2nd and 3rd if it's a project I've been wanting to do for a long time.
Re: Expenses and other factors [message #87482 is a reply to message #86859] Tue, 20 March 2018 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jungle is currently offline  Jungle
Chancellor
I think most DIY projects are about the personal satisfaction of doing it yourself rather than cost-efficiency. I know I used to think that DIYs would always be cheaper - for any kind of project - and I quickly found out that is rarely the case.
Re: Expenses and other factors [message #87542 is a reply to message #86865] Sun, 25 March 2018 16:58 Go to previous message
Khanman is currently offline  Khanman
Chancellor
gofar99 wrote on Sat, 23 December 2017 15:25
Hi, IMO it could go either way. Individual components will cost more than the commercial guys pay for them, but then they also have to make a profit at every level from builder to sales staff.

That's true. They've got to make money. Are there any stores, big chains or online, that offer discounted prices that might be closer to what the commercial guys pay?
Previous Topic: Are there any brands you refuse to work on?
Next Topic: Are you a self-taught craftsman?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 08:38:29 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout
Smith & Larson Audio