Home » Audio » Source » as the record plays my strobe doesnt show a steady mark
as the record plays my strobe doesnt show a steady mark [message #12298] Sat, 02 July 2005 05:39 Go to next message
sanspolanco is currently offline  sanspolanco
Chancellor
does this always happen with belt drive turntables or is my turntable just crap? let me try to better describe my problem. whenever i play a record, the steady, non-moving marker flashed by my strobe starks to move as if i have slightly increased the speed. any suggestions?

Re: All Speed Control Issues are fixable [message #12300 is a reply to message #12298] Sat, 02 July 2005 07:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Did you answer the post you made below concerning the tweaked speed control yet? Quartz doesn't degrade over time.

??? Re: All Speed Control Issues are fixable ??? [message #12301 is a reply to message #12300] Sat, 02 July 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
manualblock, your post is confusing me. do you mind saying that again?

Re: All Speed Control Issues are fixable [message #12302 is a reply to message #12300] Sat, 02 July 2005 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
There's a post below with the same question as yours.

Re: ??? Re: All Speed Control Issues are fixable ??? [message #12303 is a reply to message #12301] Mon, 04 July 2005 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
He's telling you to look at the post a few posts down entitled "1200mk II speed control reset" where your question is addressed.

Russellc

i am still looking for help. sorry, but i couldnt see how the previous post helps [message #12304 is a reply to message #12303] Tue, 05 July 2005 17:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
here again is my situation: my strobe indicates that speed is never sturdy. i can get a steady mark reading when i first start the record, but it always changes as the record plays on. is this supposed to happen? can this be fixed? is this the difference between a direct drive and belt drive?

thanks guys.

-sjp

Re: i am still looking for help. sorry, but i couldnt see how the previous post helps [message #12312 is a reply to message #12304] Thu, 07 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
No, it should not happen, but is not uncommon as tables age. Yes, it could be fixed, probabley fairly easily. i not sure if a understand your last question, but the difference between the belt drive and direct drive is in the drive mechanism, one has the motor turning the platter directly, and the other has the motor to the side, with a belt driving the platter. Most direct drive tables have a quartz lock servo deal that is designed to lock the speed and keep it stable. as the components age, they fail or drift out of spec, causing the problems you are experiencing. while many like direct drive tables, and some of the better ones, like techniques 1200 series and the better denon tables can sound good, my personal feelings are that the design is compromised by having the motor (and its vibration) hooked directly to the platter. that been said, what audio design isn't compromised in some way? If their is something about this table you like, get it fixed and enjoy, even if not really cost effective. Who am I to talk, I have put enough money into my AR that it really doesn't make sense either.

Russellc

Re: i am still looking for help. sorry, but i couldnt see how the previous post helps [message #12313 is a reply to message #12312] Thu, 07 July 2005 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
thanks for the thorough reply. what is strange about my problem is that my gemini xl-100 was new when i bought it and it always had alittle bit of a drift on the strobe readings when i would play records. oh well, eventually i will look into getting something better.

another question about my pitch control issue [message #12318 is a reply to message #12313] Fri, 08 July 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chancellor
here is something i find odd: as the record plays on and the strobe marking starts to drift, when i adjust it and make the reading steady, i cant tell a difference in sound. should i then worry about this problem? is there a level of pitch variation that just can't be noticed? the other thing that is odd is that sometimes its the drifting slows down and then picks up. could it be that the strobe is not maintaining its time correctly?

-sjp

Re: another question about my pitch control issue [message #12320 is a reply to message #12318] Fri, 08 July 2005 12:48 Go to previous message
Illuminati (1st Degree)
One of my early turntables, a marantz was like that. As it got older, it would drift a little. Eventually, even with the control knob turned all the way down, it still drifted just a little. I never heard much difference then either. some sounds are more revealing than others. sustained piano notes are particularly revealling of speed inconsistencies.

Russellc

Previous Topic: Red trumpet and classic records
Next Topic: anti-skating problem
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:59:10 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers