Home » Audio » General » Noise pollution at home
Noise pollution at home [message #86808] Sun, 17 December 2017 18:46 Go to next message
Tikki is currently offline  Tikki
Baron
I just read an article about how to cut noise pollution at home and it got me thinking about what ways everyone here is using to stop that sound from seeping through the doors and windows. What is your strategy?
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #86815 is a reply to message #86808] Mon, 18 December 2017 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strum Drum is currently offline  Strum Drum
Master
Noise pollution as in trying to keep outside noise from seeping into your home, or trying to contain your own noise so you don't bother anyone else? I get annoyed at barking dogs when their owners let them bark all day, but I installed shutters that you close from outside and it helps some.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #86845 is a reply to message #86808] Sat, 23 December 2017 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
Whether it's keeping my noise in or the outside noise out, I've never actually bothered with any of it. I guess it really hasn't been a problem for me. Some days I play my music loud but none of my neighbors have ever complained. Of course they also play loud music or have parties once in a while and I don't complain either.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #87016 is a reply to message #86845] Mon, 15 January 2018 18:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I don't seem to have a problem with inside or outside sounds. Sometimes the neighbors down the street have a yelling match but I just shut the door and it gets muffled. We don't play our house music at deafening levels, however in the car is another story.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #87017 is a reply to message #86808] Mon, 15 January 2018 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ziggy is currently offline  Ziggy
Chancellor
I live in an apartment complex and there are strict rules about your music not annoying others. Of course, that doesn't stop some people but you can get evicted if it happens enough.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #94503 is a reply to message #86808] Sat, 25 September 2021 02:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Acacia is currently offline  Acacia
Viscount
I don't have a solution for this, but I also find it necessary to minimize the noise in our home. Hearing different sounds from the TV and loud conversation add to my stress because it's intrusive and bothersome. It makes me feel restless, so I wear earphones without music.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #94511 is a reply to message #86808] Sun, 26 September 2021 00:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kingfish is currently offline  Kingfish
Illuminati (1st Degree)
My strategy is to stay where I'm at. I live in a small town/rural area where the only major sounds are those from the periodic road crews.

It's a good thing too because my house isn't very soundproofed.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #94513 is a reply to message #86808] Sun, 26 September 2021 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Phonetic Ear is currently offline  Phonetic Ear
Baron
There are many people from where I'm staying, so there's a lot of noise. Closing the doors helps, which also applies when I'm staying in my room. It's the only choice I have, and I'm glad it works to an extent.
Re: Noise pollution at home [message #94516 is a reply to message #94513] Sun, 26 September 2021 21:52 Go to previous message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, I don't have a problem with it as the neighborhood is pretty quiet and the house is brick with well insulated (for thermal...but it helps with noise) walls. I added a room for listening but my wife took it over for TV (ugh...can't win on that one). I used double siding, a lot of thermal and sound insulation in the walls and ceiling. I raised the floor and double layered it as well. Thick carpet with thick padding and a bunch of furniture that can adsorb sounds. Other features such as calculated size, a sloped ceiling and dedicated AC power didn't make it quieter but did make it sound better. Attached are some really early photos right after it was finished but not fully set up./forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2857&private=0 /forum/index.php?t=getfile&id=2858&private=0
  • Attachment: Front.jpg
    (Size: 87.79KB, Downloaded 189 times)
  • Attachment: Room 1.jpg
    (Size: 158.62KB, Downloaded 259 times)

Good Listening
Bruce
Previous Topic: Universal Remotes
Next Topic: Has Anyone Studied Us?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 07:17:55 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects