Home » Audio » Pro Sound » Turntablism
Turntablism [message #86796] Sat, 16 December 2017 17:57 Go to next message
Aria is currently offline  Aria
Baron
Is anyone here a turntablist or have some experience DJing with turntables or a DJ Mixer? I've been playing around with basic stuff on my computer but I'm thinking about trying it out in other mediums. Any suggestions for getting started/good equipment/random tips?
Re: Turntablism [message #86798 is a reply to message #86796] Sun, 17 December 2017 16:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pique is currently offline  Pique
Baron
I'm not really into that kind of stuff, but my younger brother is, and he got started by learning from someone who was already good at it. I think that finding a mentor is the best way forward for you, as well.
Re: Turntablism [message #86832 is a reply to message #86796] Thu, 21 December 2017 11:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perfect Storm is currently offline  Perfect Storm
Baron
I'm the same as Pique. I don't have personal experience with it but most of the people I know have been mentored by someone. I would suggest looking around Facebook to find someone in your area or posting something up on Craigslist. Otherwise, you might be able to find some videos on YouTube that could help but I really think it's one of those things that is better to learn with someone else with you.
Re: Turntablism [message #86837 is a reply to message #86796] Thu, 21 December 2017 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Thanks for the help guys. I figured that would probably end up being my best option, just sort of hoped it wouldn't be my only good one! Ah well, it is what it is, eh? Guess it's time for me to find a mentor.
Re: Turntablism [message #86995 is a reply to message #86796] Fri, 12 January 2018 18:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GoldenOldie is currently offline  GoldenOldie
Viscount
I saw a reply in this forum about a recording turntable. I thought that was outrageous! I can't wait to get more into this information and see how expensive it is. Wonders never cease!
Re: Turntablism [message #87006 is a reply to message #86796] Sun, 14 January 2018 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Zohanna is currently offline  Zohanna
Baron
I thought that turntables were going to be a "thing of the past" as far as equipment goes. It is nice to see that there are still some people that love vinyl.
Re: Turntablism [message #87043 is a reply to message #87006] Tue, 16 January 2018 15:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gofar99 is currently offline  gofar99
Illuminati (5th Degree)
Hi, There is a major resurgence in vinyl and the equipment to play it. Several companies are now producing records. Recently I saw an article that indicated that more turntables are now being manufactured than any year since 1990. Unfortunately some are rather poor quality. More records as well.. Even Walmart carries some now. For anyone who is interested in turntables you should visit the vinylengine.com forums. That is where to find out about anything related to turntables and similar topics. Friendly folks with a vast amount of knowledge.

BTW, for newcomers, this can be an expensive undertaking. A good source of records is used music stores. In my area ZIA Record exchange (several locations out west) has a huge selection. I get many for under a dollar.

Good Listening
Bruce
Re: Turntablism [message #87131 is a reply to message #86796] Wed, 24 January 2018 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baron
Hey, Bruce! I had no idea that there was that big of a jump in record production, much less that WalMart was selling them. That's wild ... and amazing! Thank you so much for pointing me in the direction of that forum. I'll be sure to check it out. Alas, I figured it was going to end up being an expensive venture but hey, it might be worth it.
Re: Turntablism [message #87134 is a reply to message #86796] Wed, 24 January 2018 18:08 Go to previous message
Solitary is currently offline  Solitary
Baron
My brother recently got a turntable as a present for his birthday, and he is absolutely loving it! I guess the vinyl craze really is here to stay. I love the warm, rich sound that comes from it. It's great.
Previous Topic: The most complex musical instrument
Next Topic: Removing background noise
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:42:27 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout