Home » Audio » Source » Record cleaning product
Record cleaning product [message #12294] Thu, 30 June 2005 15:17 Go to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
While stumbling around in costco's optical dept the other day I came on a nice product. They had bundles of what looked like terry cloth towels made of microfiber. They were selling them to clean eye and sunglass lens with. I use the Disc Doctor brushes and fluids for record cleaning. for those not familiar with this excellent protocol, It uses hand held brushes, one to clean, one to rinse. Rinsing is essentially brushing same as cleaning, except with distilled water instead of cleaning fluid. You brush the water around and then soak it up with a soft cotton cloth, then repeat a few times.
These microfiber towels aborb the water like magic and are soft and harmless to the vinyl. A big bundle costs about 8 bucks. also killer for finishing after a wax job on the car, no scratches in the clearcoat! and they are also of course excellent for cleaning glasses and sunglasses. (They sell an excellent spray cleaner that will not harm funky sunglass finishes, even Oaklys with no damage. they will refill the bottle for life, as long as there is a label on the bbottle.)

thanks,
Russellc

russellc

Re: Record cleaning product [message #12295 is a reply to message #12294] Fri, 01 July 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Say Russell; did you talk to the disc Doc? Make sure there are no chemicals to leach out or anything. Err on the side of safety because if they get the greenlight then those wipes sound great; beats buying baby towels all the time.

Re: Record cleaning product [message #12296 is a reply to message #12295] Fri, 01 July 2005 19:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Russellc is currently offline  Russellc
Illuminati (1st Degree)
Good idea, I'll give him a call, but it appears very inert, and just soaks water up like magic, leaving the disc dam near ready to play dry, but i leave them in a dish drainer under a ceiling fan for an hour or so just in case. The surface treatments of certain expensive sunglasses (like some oakleys) are easily stained, and it harms them not! They usually recommend only cleaning them with the little sack they come in, which is also made of microfiber. Their ability to suck up water makes them great for drying anything, hands, dishes, faces, whatever. Seems as though they only come in yellow, however...at least at costco anyway.

Russellc

Re: Record cleaning product [message #12299 is a reply to message #12296] Sat, 02 July 2005 07:10 Go to previous message
Manualblock is currently offline  Manualblock
Illuminati (13th Degree)
Yellow is good; it works well on all those "Gold" records. I gotta try this stuff.

Previous Topic: 1200mk2 pitch control re-set?
Next Topic: Old turntable/new reciever/no volume
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue May 14 20:45:07 CDT 2024

Sponsoring Organizations

DIY Audio Projects
DIY Audio Projects
OddWatt Audio
OddWatt Audio
Pi Speakers
Pi Speakers
Prosound Shootout
Prosound Shootout